We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

playa or ixtapa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
playa or ixtapa

planning a vacation this winter and would like to know which destination is preferred. we are in our mid forties.

ohio
Level Contributor
227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: playa or ixtapa

keep in mind that ixtapa is on the pacific coast. the water is no where near as beautiful as playa!

cheyenne
Level Contributor
777 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: playa or ixtapa

Hard to compare. We love Ixtapa because of the nice waves for boogie boarding. Food is good in Zihua and Ixtapa. Lots of beach activity in Ixtapa. Fishing is fabulous, if thats your thing. Snorkelilng is not good. Ixtapa is more of a laid-back have fun on the beach, lay by the pool and eat at some great restaurants in Zihua. PDC has more things close by to do. Different type of fishing at that time of year, calm water, great snorkeling places, good food, beaches not as wide as Ixtapa, not as warm as Ixtapa. Depends on what you want.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13,873 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: playa or ixtapa

I was to Ixtapa about 7 or so years ago with two of my girlfriends. Personally, I did not care for it. Found it to be quite boring. We hung at the resort (Presidente) and it was OK. Food was very boring at the resort, and we ended up eating out only once (Carlos & Charlies). I love the clear blue water and you don't get that in Ixtapa. All around, I'm definately voting for PDC, but do more digging around about Ixtapa, and see what you think. Maybe it is what you are looking for.