We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jewelery shopping in PDC

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
jewelery shopping in PDC

Just wondering if it is cheaper than in the U.S. Will be going to the RIU Palace in Sept and would like to get some nice jewelery if it is cheap.

Daytona Beach...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: jewelery shopping in PDC

Tracy

thanks for such a detailed post.. I really enjoyed reading what you wrote and I am sure the more you know about a place the more fun you can have..

When you went to the shops at night how did you get back to your hotel? you didn't ride the scooters at night did you? was it easy to get a cab?

pa
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: jewelery shopping in PDC

it is easy to get a cab, anytime..I asked our driver and he said the cabs run 27/7 from playa to whereever..we ended up walking home one night just for fun, by the way the stores close at 10pm.

pa
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: jewelery shopping in PDC

jmsx1964 The Blue Parrot looked like a really cool club, plus others that are out on the beach..you have got to check it out!!!

So many different and open air resturants..

Sandusky
Level Contributor
52 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: jewelery shopping in PDC

IamNancy - Depending on where your hotel is and the amount of people in your group, you COULD walk back to your hotel. But use caution. I always felt safe in Playa. Safe, but always aware of my surroundings. I would be leery if it were just 2 gals, if you're too tipsy from a few cold ones, or if it is very late at night. Cabs are plentiful, and while they're not your bright yellow checkered ones like in New York City, some do look better than others. Always get your cab from a busy street corner (as opposed to out in front of some sleezy bar LOL) and you'll be fine. One thing about the scooters - always park them where you can see them. There are plenty of shops outside "5th St". Make sure you park right out in front of the store. I heard you can request/purchase a lock for them, but we never used one.

BTW - you can even haggle with the cab drivers. It started out at $12.00 for a ride in town from our hotel. He took us for $6 but we ended up giving him $10.00 anyway. The drivers really do appreciate tips. ANYONE does. When you see the town, it's rather impoverished and an extra buck goes a long way. If you drive into town and have a driver you like, just ask him to pick you up at a certain time/place, and most likely, he will ablige. And most anywhere you go, the US dollar is welcomed. And even the tinest bit of Spanish goes a long way, too. :) Any other questions, feel free to ask.

We've just decided that we're going back to Playacar next spring break. I think the kids are more excited than me. Have fun! I think you'll love it there.

PS - I always take a few trinkets to leave the maids. (along with a small daily tip for them) Ie. - all those mini perfume/cosmetics you get as extras when you buy make up at the mall, small packages of junk food/bubble gums, etc. Hit the "dollar store" and get crayons & coloring books for their kids. An Old Navy T-shirt was a huge hit! It's not necessary, just a nice gesture.

Oklahoma
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: jewelery shopping in PDC

Hi Tracy! Just wanted you to know my daughter and I were at The Reef Playacar in May and the jewelry store you spoke of

(in the plaza) is definately still there, and you're right it's VERY cool. She bought the most unusual ring there and continues to get compliments on it! I can't wait to go back in October and check it out again.