We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

I am new to Mexico (only been to Cozumel on a cruise) and not sure which hotel is a good deal and yet still a great/clean place to stay. Can someone tell me which of the two you would pick? Would prefer AI. Thanks in advance.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,609 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

There are many great AIs in the PDC/ Riv. Maya area. What are your other priorities? Do you want to be close to town, have a great beach, large property, small property,

jungle environment, etc. I have been to the area five times and found the resorts to be very clean, all offering a good deal.

What would you consider "great". Just trying to help.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

annoncapecod..The most important thing is a beautiful beach nice pool and the lease crowded place. I can even handle the crowds if the resort has large enough amenities to make everyone comfortable. The room doesn't have to be anything but clean, comfortable and quiet. I don't want to mingle w/ a bunch of spring breakers or a large party crowd. the food doesn't have to be 5 star but I don't want to eat hamburgers, chicken or "taco bell" like Mexican. I'm really not that hard to please so I don't want to stay @ a really expensive place since I don't require the pampering. I guess we are looking to go either 5-7 nights AI 2 adults for around 2800.00(that's not counting spending money). But the beach is a MUST for us. Hope to hear which hotel you would suggest for us and thanks in advance.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

annoncapecod..The most important thing is a beautiful beach nice pool and the lease crowded place. I can even handle the crowds if the resort has large enough amenities to make everyone comfortable. The room doesn't have to be anything but clean, comfortable and quiet. I don't want to mingle w/ a bunch of spring breakers or a large party crowd. the food doesn't have to be 5 star but I don't want to eat hamburgers, chicken or "taco bell" like Mexican. I'm really not that hard to please so I don't want to stay @ a really expensive place since I don't require the pampering. I guess we are looking to go either 5-7 nights AI 2 adults for around 2800.00(that's not counting spending money). But the beach is a MUST for us. Hope to hear which hotel you would suggest for us and thanks in advance.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

Uh, well, let's see... what is the difference between Coke and Pepsi? :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. But just as in that question, you'll undoubtedly get some people on either side that swear that one or the other is really better, but my bet is that the vast majority of the people in the world would not see a difference in quality or indeed even be able to tell the difference at all if they didn't already know going in. In the whole range of lodging types you could have in this region you would be hard pressed to find 2 that would leave you with experiences more similar to each other than those two, I'd wager.

Hey, Ann, nice to see you on this forum!

Steve

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

oops the least crowded place!! Too early.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

PlayaMaya..that's what I was afraid of. I'm just unfamiliar w/ these resorts.(Are they just like Hyatt or Radisson?) I think I'm leaning more towards Iberostar.

California
Level Contributor
233 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

We're going to the Iberostar Tucan-Quetzel for the second time. We went to the Paradisius and found that they only offered maybe half the amount of food the Tucan did for more money, the place was beautiful, but they didn't treat you the way the Iberostar does. If you like a jungle-animal atmosphere you would probably like the Tucan. For the price we think its quite a deal. From L.A. a standard room (including air fare) was $1200. and an ocean front jr. suite was $1500. It was well worth the extra money for that ocean view! From what we've seen there, all the A.I's are beautiful, but from looking on the internet, the Iberostar seems alot cheaper. I"ve heard the other Iberostars in the area are just as nice, one has a lazy river. Looks fun!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

thanks wmac. You have about the same ideals as us. We appreciate the suggestions. Will look this up.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

Riu Palace , i highly recommend this place. Fantastic food & service. Very few kids. Not crowed. It is considered quiet luxury. Not a party place. You can use the other 3 Riu's which are more party like, and more kids. Within a few blocks of each other, easy to walk.

Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
8,448 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the Difference..Iberostar or RIU??

Indeed many of these places are very close to each other and there are cases where what appear to be two different hotels with different names under the same IB/Riu/other name are actually just side-by-side places that even share the same reception area. So another step down the hair-splitting road, there!

Steve