We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long pants for teenagers

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Long pants for teenagers

I will be at the Riu Palace next week, and I know that men have to wear long pants for dinner....anyone know if teenagers(age 14) also have to wear long pants?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Long pants for teenagers

Hi Aliciac

i really don't knwo, but i guess it is better if even teenager wear long pants... i read that Riu palace mexico is a bit posh...

i'll also go naxt week in the palace and i'll wear some long pants... ( i'm 18)

new jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Long pants for teenagers

Thank you for the response..better safe than sorry...although I know he wont be happy about it!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
263 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long pants for teenagers

I think this is a wonderful opportunity to show them that they are growing up and need to have certain manners for the benefit of all.

new jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Long pants for teenagers

I agree! I think it will be a perfect opportunity for him to understand that not all occasions require shorts and t-shirts.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long pants for teenagers

Sorry, I disagree. My 17 yr. old son dresses for work everyday. Shirt and tie (not many places left that require that) and we dine out often requiring appropriate dress pants and shirt. It's vacation. My son is not whining about the long pants as much as he his about the long pants and the heat/humidity combination. My husband on the other hand is just a pain!!!!

new england
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Long pants for teenagers

The waiters dress up, tables are set with linens, flowers, etc. to add to an upscale environment for our benefit. I suggest all dress accordingly and the teens can change after dinner.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long pants for teenagers

I agree that it is the parents responsibility but it's hard to monitor a 17 year old 24 hours a day. I'll certainly take steps to monitor where they are and what is in their insulated mug, and that beer is not stocked in the mini-bar in their room, etc. But I think you get to the point (my son turns 18 in 2 months) that you have to trust that you raised them correctly and hope they make good choices.

I am reasonably sure that both of my kids would say that I am one of the more strict (I hate that word) moms among their friends parents. And yet I am worried. I just hope to god, that my kid isn't the one falling over in the disco or puking in the pool. But truthfully, I won't know until we get there and see how they handle the situation. And if they screw up they know that real consequences will follow. At this point that is about all I can do.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long pants for teenagers

Sorry meant to post under teens at Iberostars.