We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EL Dorado Royal vs Copacabana

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
EL Dorado Royal vs Copacabana

Im coming down to Playa in September ffor my boyfriends 50th. I stayed at the copacabana and was considering returning until I read some of the reviews for the El Dorado Royal. I loved the copas beach, is the EDR beach nice or rocky??? Any feedback would be appreciated.....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EL Dorado Royal vs Copacabana

It is very rocky, but there are some spots with soft sand. Read the reviews carefully. It is a nice place but part of El Dorado Royale is under construction. I just stayed there and loved it. However I like the rocks because I snorkel and can find interesting rocks, shells, old coral etc to see.....

Tx
Level Contributor
442 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: EL Dorado Royal vs Copacabana

I surprised my husband with a romantic trip to the Eldorado Royale last year. It was awesome and will be treasured forever. They treated us very well and the rooms were GREAT! We loved having the jacuzzi's in the room. Room service was very good and the swim up bar was a great place to meet new friends! We stayed there mostly, but did go to the beach some. I did not find too many rocks (can't really even remember any) but maybe we were at a part of the beach that was rock free. The casita suites were really nice. I would have liked to have stayed in one of those, but we didn't. There are some really cool beach "beds" along the beach. We never got one of those either because they were always taken. Oh well, no big deal. It was really a great place!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EL Dorado Royal vs Copacabana

Thank you for all your ideas, we love to snorkel and swim in the ocean so that is why I was leaning toward returning to the Copa. I just didnt like the fact they had no swim up bar, room service or cervezas in the room. I would prefer a few more choices as far as the food was concerned also. Im thinking on EDR. Thank you again......

everywhere
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: EL Dorado Royal vs Copacabana

EDR's beach has its nice parts and its rocky parts. If the things you mentioned are important to you then EDR is your choice. 7 places to eat, 24 hr room service, mini fridge in room with Tecate beer (included in price), and a swim-up bar at every pool.

North Vancouver, BC
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: EL Dorado Royal vs Copacabana

EDR beach has some rocky spots, and sandy spots.. I would bring water shoes. The snorkelling on the other side of the dock is just beautiful. We just got back on the 18th of June and we just loved it there. After all the storm warnings, etc. the weather was just beautiful. I won't ever again let the weather reports put me off. I agree with the last post. The room service was fantastic, so nice when you didn't feel like hitting one of the restaurants (it's included in the all inclusive - no additional charge) and also, they refill your fridge in the room, which was so nice to have fresh cold pop/water/beer available. It's just a fantastic place to stay. The people working at the resort were just fantastic. They bring you drinks and even pizza or burgers from the grill right to your palapa on the beach, it was so much fun..