We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

Just back from a great week in Playa del Carmen June 4 to June 11. Will honestly answer questions about GALA BEACH RESORT. We also recently stayed next door at IBEROSTAR TUCAN.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

Hoover, yes both are good if you are going to go with the kids. Iberostar will most likely be more expensive.

I would take Iberostar if the price was the same. Read my review of Gala June 14 to try to undrstand why.

You are right on when you say the Playacar area is a great location. Great beach at both but I will agree with other reports that lots of the beach has gone to sea. The Iberostar life guard tower was about 300 ft from the beach about 2 yrs ago, it is now about 100 ft. The beach at both these resorts and the Rui resorts is the best.

The Iberostar Tucan has a real intimate feel about it. We love the landscaping and layout of the Iberostar Tucan. The Gala has these great Hacienda suites with there own pool. Food is equal as well as the service.

Any specific questions, we will be glad to help.

Dallas
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

longspur - Thanks. I actually staying at the RIU Playacar but will be going to the Gala for a wedding this weekend. I wanted to know about the wristband status. Does the resort require one to indentify you as a guest? I heard it is about $60usd for the band. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Agoura Hills...
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

Do you know anything about the 1 bedroom oceanfront suites at the gala? There are only 6 of them and they are proced at a premium over the other rooms. I hope they are worth it...

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

We are going to the Gala on 7/11 and have nevere been to Mexico. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated, we have two children ages 20 & 14. Thanks.

toronto
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

How was the weather? We're going July 2nd to the 9th and are worried because it's the start of the rainy season.

Another question, how is the diving there?

Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

We just got back this past weekend and were there June 18-25. It did rain there. For three days straight. But there is plenty to keep yourself busy. Those days we went on our excursions: PDC shopping, Xcaret, and ATV tour. Also it didn't rain all day, there were times when we had a break to jump in the pools. Plus if it was just sprinkling, we just stayed in the pool. It's not a freezing rain, it's still really warm when it's raining.

Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

As for the 6 oceanfront rooms, we stayed in the hacienda suites because we had a bigger group. I did hear they were nice.

Not sure about the diving. We went snorkeling at Xcaret, that's all we did. But we did see lots of charters going out with divers and they had diving lessons in the pool. In PDC, there were some dive shops, but we didn't check them out at all.

As for teenagers, they participated in some of the sport activities, but I saw most of them at the beach.

Ohio
Level Contributor
118 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Just back from GALA BEACH RESORT playacar- questions- will...

We never had wristbands. If you upgraded to the Royal Club, then you did have wristbands.