We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Excursions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Excursions

This is my first post but have enjoyed reading the suggestions here. I am leaving tomorrow for Playa Del Carmen with a group of 6 women aging in range from 20 to my 75 year old mother. We are staying for 5 nights at Iberostar Quetzal. Would like to relax most of the time but would like to take one excursion. Considering the age of my mother who is pretty active but still is 75, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for an excursion. We were considering Tulum/Xel-Ha trip but we were not sure, other than snorkeling, what you do at Xel-Ha (mom mom doesn't swim and has had skin cancer so needs to stay out of the sun as much as possible). Also heard that Tulum is not as impressive as Chichen Itza but we are not sure we want that long drive or the amount of heat and walking required there. Any advice? Also, weather forcast looks awful on the weather channel, can we really expect thundershowers for four days or are these more like pop up showers, not all day rain outs?

Menasha WI
Level Contributor
680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Excursions

bookwrm,

The Tulum/Xel-Ha trip may not be the most appropriate trip for your mom. Xel-Ha is a great place but just about everything there involves getting in the water. (snorkeling, floating down the river in an innner tube, swimming with the dolphins). Tulum is no comparison to Chichen Itza but it's closer and doesn't require as much walking. Xcharet (sp) is another big park but is set up more like a theme park with more to do but still requires pretty much a whole days commitment of time.

Have you looked into something like a Fat Cat Catamaran Cruise? It's only 3 to 4 hours long, they take you to a cove where you can snorkle if you want or you can just sit on the boat and enjoy the ride/view. You can check them out on the Playa Info site at http://playadelcarmeninfo.com/index.html

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Excursions

Take a taxi to Pt. Aventuras marina. It's about 10 miles south of PDC. It is a newer area. The marina has a Dolphin Discovery show and is a small area of nicer upscale shops and open air restaurants. Not alot of walking. You can sit at several of the restaurants on the patio and see the dolphin show for free. Shop a little and it will be a nice afternoon. Cheap. You can also participate in the dolphin swim if you choose.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Excursions

the heat at tulum is like standing on the face of the sun. maybe not the best for a 75 year old. and very little shade.

Houma, LA
Level Contributor
152 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Excursions

You may want to consider an evening trip to Xcaret - catch the night show which is AWESOME!!! I guarantee your mother will enjoy it!

St. Louis
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Excursions

Thanks for the great tips. I know my mom will appreciate them too.