We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which IB do I choose???

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancaster Pa
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which IB do I choose???

Which IB is best? The Lindo is more expensive so I'm trying to choose between the Del Mar, Tucan or Quetzal. Can you get upgraded from the Del Mar to the Lindo? I read a review that a couple just asked and they were upgraded. We will be celebrating my husband's 50th b-day and my daughter's 15th and thought they might be willing to upgrade for the occasion.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which IB do I choose???

These are all upscale resorts. Dont worry just being there should be good enough. You will have many happy memories regardless of which one you choose.

But I personally like Tucan the best.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
223 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which IB do I choose???

Do you want to visit Playa Del Carmen? Do you like slightly calmer water? Then, stay in Playacar at the Tucan/Quetzal.

Do not count on an upgrade. These resorts are probably all booked with no additional room for upgrades.

I've stayed at the Paraiso Beach and Lindo. If you like a la carte dining every night pay the extra for the Lindo. Otherwise the other options are still great.

NO matter what you will enjoy!!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which IB do I choose???

I don't want to burst your bubble but the Iberostars seem to be fully booked for Spring / Summer 05 You might want to contact your TA to confirm this. With regards to upgrading for free upon arrival it doesn't appear to be a regular occurance within this chain of hotels.

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which IB do I choose???

mom01: Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Lancastrian! Welcome to the forum. When are you planning on going? We are at the Lindo in June.

ihb
Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
189 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which IB do I choose???

hi mom01 my husband and i have stayed at tucan/quetzal three times and paraiso once. they were building lindo when we were there a couple of years ago so cant tell you anything about it. tucan and quetzal are wonderful hotels. service, food, drink, entertainment and so on all great. they seem more crowded to us than iberostar paraiso. paraiso is a huge property so its a hike from the beach to the lobby, but, because it is so big, it never seemed crowed. paraiso is also a fantastic property. we loved them both and always have a hard time picking which one to go to. if you want to be able to find a quiet corner around the pool to read or snooze i would pick paraiso. if you dont mind lots of people around the pool and a bit more noise, then tucan/quetzal would work. hope this helps and good luck/have fun

Lancaster Pa
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which IB do I choose???

justcallmemom: We are not going until the 2nd week in Jan 2006. Figured i better start doing my homework early. I want a quality resort but want to save money for SHOPPING!!!!! I think I am leaning toward the del Mar. This will be our first visit to Mexico and we are very excited to go!!

We have a daughter turning 15 on our vacation, will there be plenty for her to do since she does not have siblings for company? And is the area safe for her?

Illinois
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which IB do I choose???

I am going to the Lindo in June and have stayed at the Del Mar about 4 years ago. I loved the Del Mar. I thought it was amazing. When I went they were just building the Pariso Beach so the Del Mar was brand new. I was 14 when I went to the Del Mar and would definetly suggest it to anyone!! I would go back there anytime!! You will have a GREAT time there! I promise!!! :o)

-Emilee

CT
Level Contributor
319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which IB do I choose???

I can only give my opinion on the IPB. It was a 5 star resort all around!! We are going back again this year. We were going to stay at the Lindo/ Maya side, but decided we liked the Beach/Del mar side better. The pool was awsome, the gardens, were so beautiful. The resort is so tropical looking, as the Lindo/Maya has a more open feel. The resort is Very large. Just know that before deciding. Any questions, feel free to ask! Renee

jackson, nj
Level Contributor
424 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which IB do I choose???

I agree 100% with Renee.

CT
Level Contributor
319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which IB do I choose???

Lucy, hi, when did you stay at the IPB?? Just curious. Do you plan on returning?? 5 months until we return and counting!!!!! Renee