We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sanitizing Food

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
RGH
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sanitizing Food

We are staying at Xaman-Ha condos in late June and will be buying groceries and preparing some meals. We'd like to buy fresh produce at the local markets. I've read you should "sanitize" fruits, etc. to reduce risk of illness. Can someone explain more? How do you sanitize? Any other tips on safe food prep in Mexico? THANKS!!!!

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sanitizing Food

Sounds harder than it is. The condo should have a water cooler full of purified water. Wash all your fruit and veggies in purified water before you eat it. Wash it, peel it, cook it, or forget it and you should be fine.

Dave

ottawa, canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sanitizing Food

Hi RGH,

There is a liquid form product that you can purchase, either at a drugstore, hardware store or wherever they sell camping equipment. You would add drops of this stuff to the water and soak your fruits and veggies into it.

Hope this helps. :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sanitizing Food

You should be able to buy a cleaning solution for food made with iodine in Mexico. You can also wash fruits and veggies with a bleach/water solution. For fruits with peels we just rinsed the peel with purified water. Lots of fresh lime juice on your Guacamole etc. will help kill any nasty germs. We always carried hand sanitizer and alcohol prep pads. (Use the prep pad to wipe the tops of soda or beer bottles and cans.)

Have fun!

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sanitizing Food

If your staying at Xaman-Ha and cooking, get thy butts in a cab and get to Chedraui. Or Sam's club (or both)

Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sanitizing Food

Microdyne is one of the names of the products you can use to sanitize veggies. It comes in a small plastic bottle and is usually available in the produce department of spermarkets.

RGH
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sanitizing Food

Thanks, all! Very helpful info.

Saskatoonberry: Mine butt will be in mine rental car to Chedraui's... which is why I posed the question. Once I buy the food, I needed to know how to prepare it!

THANKS TO ALL!

RGH
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
37 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sanitizing Food

Thanks, all! Very helpful info.

Saskatoonberry: Mine butt will be in mine rental car to Chedraui's... which is why I posed the question. Once I buy the food, I needed to know how to prepare it!

THANKS TO ALL!

Saskatoon Sask
Level Contributor
896 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sanitizing Food

Anna is correct RGH. Microdyne is what you use to kill any possible coliforms on your fruits and veggies. It was avalable in several sizes at the Chedraui. Love that store, best prices, huge selection, clean washrooms. Cabs are waiting to get you back.