We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

My husband booked a 4 hour fishing tour with Captain Rick's on a 38 foot boat (wanted boat large enough for all 10 of us). We have to go to Puerto Adverturas ??? (by an Omni Hotel). Just wondering how far from the Lindo and if they're reputable. Don't want to end up like Gilligan.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

i used captin ricks last june. they are reputable. i took a small boat only two of us for a 4 hour trip. 2 hours into it the motor got a hydrolic leak, so we had to go back. they offered me another 4 hour trip to make up for it. but i was leaving the next day, so i got half my money back.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

Oh great, We might end up like Gilligan. Where bouts did you stay and did you have to go to Puerto Adverturas?? Just wondering how long it will take us and if we can take the bus from the resort. It looks like it is south of Playa del Carma and we are north of the town. Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated. I assume you didn't snorkle even tho they told my husband we could.

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

We used them in April and would NOT recommend them. They very recently changed ownership and everybody we talked to since has not been satisfied. My hubby went on the 4 hour trip and said it was a very boring 4 hours of a bunch of strangers just sitting around. If you do us Captain Ricks at least go with one other person you know so you have somebody to talk to.

They fished for 4 hours and only got ONE fish on the line....it was my husband who tried to reel it in (it got away) and nobody else even touched a rod....

Nebraska
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

noangel, Now I'm wondering if we should cancel and try a different charter company. We are going with our kids, neighbors and their kids. Most are adults and we all love to fish. My husband & I go to Canada and fish salmon on the Queen Charlotte islands (BC). I don't have to fish as I like to see others enjoy the experience and you can never be guaranteed that you'll catch anything but now I'm nervous about you and others having bad experiences. Can your husband recommend someone else. It's hard when your out of the country and you don't know what to expect.

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

Yeah we weren't so much unhappy with the fishing itself as there is never a guarantee, But it wasn't just that. The crew just wasn't into it* they didn't try to make it fun for everybody...Mostly everyone sat in silence...

Arkansas
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

like i said it was almost a year ago when i went, so maybe new owners. it was just my wife and me on a small boat. i did catch 1 fish, a mahi mahi, about 35 pounds. that's what broke the motor. when i got it in they put in the well where the motor is. it flopped around so hard it broke a hydrolic line.

i stayed at aventura spa palace. about a 5 min taxi ride from porto aventuras. maybe 15 or20 min form pdc. it was my first time deep sea fishing os i have no frame of reference. but had a good time.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

also when i got back to ASP they cooked it for me. it was soooo good! would think most resorts would cook your fish. you just have to sighn a relese.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

We stayed at ASP, so I cannot help you with the distance. We were just a mile or so away from Puerto Aventuras, but my husband and my 3 brothers went fishing with Captain Ricks. We were there April 23-30th. They fished a whole day on a boat called the Perla. I seen the boat when they came in! Not the nicest boat in there fleet, but the guys had a BLAST! They have been fishing about 5 other times. (Cancun, Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta) They said this was the best fishing they have ever had. They had two triple hits at one time which is uncommon I guess! They caught 4 sailfish and some others I can not remember the names. My husband said the crew was awesome, but generally the crews are different on all the boats. He said the Captain spoke very good English!

While in Puerto Aventuras stop in at Gringo Dave's Restaurant! They have awesome Bloody Mary's! The owner is from the US. Kinda of a Jimmy Buffet beach bum lookin guy, who has had to much Rum Punch, but he is nice. The shopping in PA is nice to. The whole area is nice! You can email me if you have any question or want to see some photos! maryanddarin@yahoo.com

Nebraska
Level Contributor
290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

Thanks you guys for all the info. I feel a little bit better. WOW to catch a 35 lb. mahi would be awsome. My husband is chartering a 38' boat that looks nice on their website, but you never know what your getting until you're on the dock. I do hope the crew is fun though. It can make a bad day of fishing a whole lot better and we're only going for 4 hours so it's not like we'll be wasting 1 whole day of a FANTASTIC week. I'm getting more excited.

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone familiar with Captain Rick's fishing charter

We went out twice with Captain Rick. We caught fish on both occasions. The problem I found was that as I was a female they thought that I wouldn't be able/want to fish. I love fishing and had to pay the same price as 'the men' but when a fish came on the line they wouldn't let me reel it in or have a go. They said that I should take photos of my husband and wouldn't let me even touch a fish. Language was a problem so it was difficult to rectify the problem. They did let me catch a small baracuda (the smallest I have ever seen) as they said I could probably manage it and laughed.

So women who enjoy fishing beware.