We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York
Level Contributor
271 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

Hello, everyone........I am still trying to pick a spot... have narrowed down to St. Lucia or Mexico......

I just love love love the beaches in Mexico......I have been there maybe 7 times I think.......all in different spots.... Back then I was younger and just looking for a fun spot............

Now I am on the hunt for the perfect honeymoon spot. Great Beach.....very important. Great food.......very important to the Fiance...LOL and a bed thats not so hard........and a great fancy room...... so any suggestion??? I love this wedsite.......everyone is soooo helpful...........thanks in advance :)

New York
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

I have heard a lot of good things about honeymoon's at The Royal Playa Del Carmen. We are leaving in 2 days but just a romantic getaway, we are not married. Perhaps someone else can book their honeymoon experience since I have yet to go. Here is their site:

realresorts.com.mx/The_Royal_Playa_Carmen/

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

If you are looking for luxury I don't think you can go wrong with the new Iberostar Grand. I can't comment on the food aspect but read the reviews I am sure someone can you some insight on that.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

I assume by Mexico you mean Playa. It is very different from St Lucia. If budget is something of a question, you will get more bang for your buck in Playa while having access to great food, drink and activities in a safe place.

The first thing to decide is if you/fiancee are more into AI's(spending more time at the resort) or more into seeing/exploring the town. You will have many tell you about the AI's so I'll give a different perspective.

We honeymooned for 8 days in Playa last year. We both love great food and drink and decided we didnt want to be limited to a resort and their buffets. We wanted to be right in the thick of things. We decided to go with a condo close to a few of the beach clubs but still near the main drag (5th).

The minuses--

Everything was not all contained in the price.

Didnt have the culture of a bunch of folks staying at the same resort.

Didnt get to see resort 'shows'

The pluses--

Free to explore restaurants of which there are too many for you to hit over a week, free to drink what and where you want.

We stepped out of our condo and was right there in town rather than having to take taxis.

More of an adventure

You can still have your "Corona commercial" on the beach

Didnt feel guilt about spending all the money on an AI and wanting to eat/drink elsewhere.

So anyway, maybe think more about what you want and that will help you narrow things down. You will not believe me about this until after you go, but it really doesnt make a heck of a lot of difference what room you get on your honeymoon. Its nice to have an ocean view of course, but you will be spending very little time there. If you do things right you'll just sleep, bathe and do honeymoon activities there ;)

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,067 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

I have to disagree with the characterization of AIs in the above post. I hate buffets and avoid them, period. A high end AI will not condemn you to buffets or mediocre food. It will, however, keep you from constantly having to whip out your wallet.

We do both and enjoy both but have enjoyed stayed at several luxury level AIs where the food has been quite good.

Check out LeBlanc, and the new Excellence property in Playa Mujeres.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

Buffets were only a small part of my post...I'm sure people that have the money can pay for 24hour individual chef and butler service. If the original poster can afford a luxury AI, more power to them and they will have a blast. I was merely stating an alternate that I think compares favorably in cost to your average AI and has other benefits. IMHO I'd stay in an AI if I were to visit Jamaica from what I had heard about the areas surrounding the resorts. In Playa I believe people can have more fun in safety than being in an AI. I know Beth and her fiancee will have a great time whatever they decide to do...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

Beth- Have you picked a resort in St. Lucia and are looking for something comparable in Mex? Honeymooners on here seem to go for the adult only all inclusives.

Secrets Excellence

Secrets Capri

ElDorado Seaside Suites

ElDorado Royal

The Royal in PDC

Iberostar Grand

That is all I can think of.

Hoboken, New Jersey
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

I just returned from my honeymoon at the Royal Playa Del Carmen and can highly recommend it. The rooms are fantastic - very comfy beds, huge 2 person jacuzzi tub, inclusive 24/hr room service and a hammock on the balcony.

The resort has 3 or 4 restaurants as well as a buffet which all serve good food. However, it is only a short walk to 5th Ave which has a huge selection of restaurants and bars if you want to try something different.

Checkout their website for more info - IMO it is a wonderful place! Have fun where ever you go.

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

Frow, you wrote that "Didnt have the culture of a bunch of folks staying at the same resort." was a disadvantage of staying in a condo as opposed to an AI.

But if you stayed in a condo near 5th, wouldn't you also be close to being around people from a couple of dozen different countries?

I'm torn between staying in a condo or staying in an AI that has a bad reviewd from North Americans who said "No one spoke English there and the resort catered to Europeans and ignored Americans and Canadians"

It's none of my business but which condo did you stay at?

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

Utahrd,

I think what I meant is that if you were staying at an AI for a week and lets say you were a happy hour type you would probably start running into the same people who also were happy hour types. Its the old psychology experiment that you tend to be friendlier to those living close to you. For me that would be one of the fun things about being a "captive audience" so to speak at an AI, unless of course your fellow AI-ers were belligerent and obnoxious.

However, my wife and I tend to be on the friendlier side and found a bar we went to 3-4 times on 5th(Pez Vela). We saw that besides getting to know the bar staff there would be a few other "regulars" whom we met and hung out with a few times.

About your condo question--why wouldnt it be your business?? Now if you ask me boxers or briefs thats a little too personal ;)

We stayed at Hacienda San Jose on 1st and Calle 24. People know it by the columns out front. We stayed on a 3rd fl unit that had a rooftop terrace with 180 ocean facing view and a jacuzzi tub. There was a small pool in the courtyard that we never used. Our neighbors were cordial but we never really got to know anyone there (which was okay).

We are going back to stay in the same unit in Nov so there must have been something good about it. I am not quite sure why you are torn. Why would you go to an AI that you read bad reviews on? There are many that get great reviews as well as smaller non-AI hotels. It really depends on what kind of amenities you want in a place. If youre still looking for condo ideas, we used bricinternational.com . If you'd like smaller hotels, check out reviews for Luna Blue, Playa Maya. If you want AI's I'd do a lot more research here and not go to the place you were thinking about...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: So many hotels have no idea where to go for honeymoon Help:)

My husband and I recently did the royal playa del carmen for our honeymoon. It was the MOST amazing experience. I am a picky person (but go with the flow) and this place was wonderful!!!!