We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Justcallmemom!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New Rochelle, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Justcallmemom!

In response to your question. The reason I say other than the Tucan/Quetzal? I have been told that on their stretch of beach (which also includes the Gala Beach Resort) there is no coral. I've also looked on Mapchick.com and Locogringo.com. I sounds like I'm being picky, but as a single parent I will be paying a large sum of money to enjoy myself and I don't want it ruined for either me, or my daughter, or the other friends that will be travelling with us. The last time I was in Playa del Carmen, we stayed at the Grand Porto Real which I really loved, but we are beach bums and relly enjoy our time in the water. For me, I guess I'm spoilled and would prefer to swim without swim shoes My daughter on ther otherhand could care less(!) but I worry she will be injured none the less. The GPR had a lot of coral and I was cut and I don't want to experience that again. Sorry to sound like a crybaby!

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Justcallmemom!

I walked/swam the whole beach in Playacar (Apr 9-23) and there were very little to no rocks in the water in front of ANY of the resorts. We never wore any swimshoes the whole 2 weeks and were up and down Playacars beach and in the water constantly with no problems...

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Justcallmemom!

Jilly: You didn't sound that way at all. I really was just curious. (we originally booked at Tucan and switched.) H*ll, you're spending a lot of money for your vacation get what you want. And you came to the right place, these TA forum people are so knowledgeable and willing to help. Good luck!

New Rochelle, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Justcallmemom!

I Know! this site id addicting! I'v told so many of my friends to check it out! They hate me now, They are just as obsessed as I am!

New Rochelle, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Justcallmemom!

Where will/did you en up staying.

New Rochelle, New...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Justcallmemom!

Also, from the websites I viewed. the beaches at the other iberostars look to have a lot of coral (someone also mentioned that for one of them) but it could just be seaweed?

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Justcallmemom!

We ended up at the Lindo we go June 25th. And I did this for one reason only. The air conditioning. Tucan doesn't have A/C in restaurants or Lobby and Lindo does. Because of when we are going and being from PA (doesn't get really hot here usually) that we were going to need a place to get away from the heat. Stupid to some....others (that have come back and posted) completely agreed. See... everyone has their issues....yours is coral mine is A/C!!!! lol

Edmonton CANADA
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Justcallmemom!

Honestly we went in very deep and there was some seaweed once you go out far enough, But very little rocks and NO coral at all.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Justcallmemom!

Air conditioning is a Must Have in restaurants when we pick a resort.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Justcallmemom!

JCMM, you and and are so alike, it would be fun if we were going to PDC at the same time! AC is a must! It was a total turnoff to me to hear the Tucan did not have it and was the final thing that made us decide to upgrade to the Lindo. I love the heat, in my suit by the beach or the pool, not when I am eating or when there is food exposed to it!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Justcallmemom!

JCMM, you and and are so alike, it would be fun if we were going to PDC at the same time! AC is a must! It was a total turnoff to me to hear the Tucan did not have it and was the final thing that made us decide to upgrade to the Lindo. I love the heat, in my suit by the beach or the pool, not when I am eating or when there is food exposed to it!