We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spray suntan lotion-beware

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
United States
Level Contributor
601 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Spray suntan lotion-beware

Just wanted to tell everyone. I bought a new bottle of spray sunblock, it was neutrogena I think. I put it in my bag that had a separate compartment that held it stable. When we got to the resort, the lid was still on but the sunblock was completely gone. It had sprayed out into the cap and all over my boyfriends suitcase staining all his clothes. I cant believe it emptied like that without having the lid off. It went right thru the bag into the suitcase during the flight. On the way back, I wrapped my new sunblock in 2 zIplock baggies and 2 store bags!!! Make sure you wrap all of your liquids very good for check in.

oz
Level Contributor
4,451 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

i would take photos of any damage and write the company a letter. it sound like it had a faulty seal. i hope you had a nice trip, besides the sun block problem.

United States
Level Contributor
601 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

Thank you wicked, we had a wonderful trip. (thank god it wasnt my clothes lol)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

Moonrider, thanks for letting us know. I usually use "regular" sun tan lotion but I carry a spray-on to put lotion on my back (I cant ask someone to do that!!!). I always put lotions in a ziplock, but I am going to double-zip it.

Incidentally, I've never had an "accident" with the spray. I guess I was just lucky.

Thanks again.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

The same thing happened to us except that it was in an outside compartment (stupid I know but we forgot it there). When we got home the bag was permanantly stained. The cap was still on. Well at least I can easily identify my luggage now :)

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

This can happen (leaking) with any type of liquid or gel container because of air preasure differences in the plane. The biggest preasure difference is in the luggage compartment. We allways use baggies for all liquids and gels we take (both carry-on and checked).

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,763 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

I assume we are speaking of the pump spray containers and not the aerosol. Pump sprayers are notorious leakers. I've had them back siphon by just leaving them in the sunshine. As the temp increases and the pressure builds it forces it out the nozzle. It won't build pressure if you loosen the cap abit....but then you risk spillage if it is on its side. It seems to be a no-win container for travelers although they are convenient until you have an ounce or two left at the bottom.

Give me the tube, please!

Indiana...
Level Contributor
618 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

I have had problems with pump bottles of hairspray doing the same thing. The ziplock baggie helps, but the liquid still comes out inside the baggie. If you can find a regular screw on cap that fits the bottle, you can take out the pump and replace with the cap until you get to the hotel and the replace with the pump.

United States
Level Contributor
601 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

This one was the aerosol spray from neutrogena with helioplex. I assumed it was from the air pressure, but I didnt realize it would be completely gone! I've heard them say leave the large containers of aerosol home, but the small ones were ok.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

Ours was an aerosol, not a pump.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spray suntan lotion-beware

I had a problem with Nyquil on my trip to Arizona. I was sick so I bought the Nyquil to have to help me sleep when I was there....some how it leaked out of the container, without even opening. It got on my suitcase but didnt stain. Luckily it was in a seperate suitcase from my clothes!