We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Lice

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Lice

Can anyone tell me what the locals call these guys? I would like to know the espanol translation or term that Mexcians use. Thanks

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Lice

Agua Mal (Bad Water) is what they call the little brown jelly fish. Sea lice is the eggs of a certain type of jellyfish.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Lice

The locals call Sea Lice Pica Pica according to the Fodors.com forum. Sunscreen before going into the water is supposed to help, especially under your swim wear. Vinegar after water is a good cure.

marshfield, ma
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Lice

I have been to PDC a couple of times and have never heard of these nor have I heard of anyone talk about them. What do they do?

Ireland
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Lice

I think I'd rather not know!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
352 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Lice

Thanks Vegas Man - I'll take some vinegar with me just in case and use sunscreen where the sun doesn't shine!

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Lice

A wetsuit or rash gaurd works well too. I bought a wetsuit for snorkeling after I got trashed by a jelly fish in Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Lice

BeachBrat,

They get trapped in the fabric and sting when they come in contact with your skin. They are reported to be able to live even if you let your swimwear air dry over night. You'll need to wash and dry them in a dryer to kill the eggs.

Joe

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Lice

My daughter had a sea lice eruption a couple of years ago. They are tiny specs that are barely visible. Basically if you begin feeling itchy in your bathing suit area remove the suit and take a shower. DO NOT use the suit again until it has been washed in hot water and dried in a hot dryer. My daughter broke out within her bathing suit area - kind of looked like chicken pox. She was very uncomfortable. Hydrocotisone OR Benadryl helps (Don't use together) Here's an article. Usually present randomly around this tiem of year.

http://www.fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html

Nebraska
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Lice

Great article, definitely worth knowing about even though it doesn't seem like a high risk. Thanks!!

Lancaster Pa
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Lice

This is why I prefer the pool over the ocean!!!!!!!