We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mixed drinks with ice safe?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Weatherford, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Mixed drinks with ice safe?

I was out with friends the other night and told them we were going to Playa Del Carmen soon. (Sandos Playacar) Both of my friends said when they went to an all inclusivein Mexico(different ones) that they each got very sick and they did not drink the water at all. Neither of them knew how they got sick but wondered if the ice in the mixed drinks was the culprit. Both of them said they got sick the day they were leaving and it was very difficult to get on the airplane. Any advice out there? I am a little worried.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
924 posts
16 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

I think you will be much happier if you accept the fact that in all likelihood you will have some type of GI distress for at least one day of your trip no matter what you do. Most places and restaurants in Playa depend on tourism so have filters for their water and ice. People always get sick in Mexico from any number of factors including drink, food, the heat, drinking alcohol, etc. You can lower your risks if you do obvious stuff like dont drink from the tap, dont brush your teeth with tap water, keep hydrated. There are many posts on this topic so would do a search here. Both my wife and I got sick before in Playa and gosh darn it we will get sick again. We cant wait!!

USA
Level Contributor
7,144 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

Ice, in general, is safe in the area. Ice that is in the cube form or with a hole in it is made from perified water. You are correct in not wanting to drink none bottled water. The odds are your friends got sick from something else. Many reasons besides ice, water, or even food. I have been going for 13 years and only got sick once (the flu). Don't worry and have a great trip.

United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
282 reviews
174 helpful votes
3. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

Hmmmmmmmmmm....couldn't have been toooo much booze (assuming your friends drink alcohol). As frow said there are many reasons to get sick while traveling. The CDC lists buffets and reheated food as putting at high risk as well.

kansas
Level Contributor
176 posts
23 reviews
21 helpful votes
4. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

Just got back from Playa and all we had were drinks with ice in them. None of us got sick at all. We brought some over the counter meds with just in case. Didn't need them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
64 reviews
40 helpful votes
5. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

Most AIs and tourist-oriented restaurants will use ice made with purified water.

Many people that travel to AIs and other types of hotels in Mexico have digestive disturbance from: excessive eating, excessive drinking, excessive fruit, spicy foods, etc. If you have a major change in your dietary consumption while on vacation, this can make your system function differently, and have nothing at all to do with food poisoning!!

Don't worry. Just use common sense. Wash your hands before eating. If you're concerned about digestive problems don't eat at street stands or at restaurants geared more toward locals.

madison,GA
Level Contributor
78 posts
6. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

Three of us just got back from Playa and we stayed at an AI. We also ate at some of the restaurants in town and none of us got sick. We also went to a couple of clubs/bars and had drinks with ice in them. Just try and go to the places that cater to tourists and you will probably be okay. We also went last year and I had the same thing happen as your friends. I felt extremely sick on the last day and it wasn't a very pleasant plane ride home. But we had eaten in town the night before and I had some really spicy food and some real strong margaritas so I blamed it on that !!!!! Have fun and don't worry about it too much. We took Pepto-Bismol every day while we there to keep our stomachs coated. We also carried Immodium with us but thankfully never needed it.

waterloo ontario
Level Contributor
577 posts
7. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

Went in Januuary to Iberostar Maya with a 18 month and a 3.5 year old. We all drank the starwberry daquiri mix which is mostly icy water and we none of us had any issues.

Most sickness is from eating or drinking too much food and not the food itself or spendign countles shours in the sun and getting mild sun stroke.

relax and enjoy.

Holland,MI
Level Contributor
264 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

We have been to the Playa area 6 times and have never got sick. Our oldest son(20 at the time) had some Imodium issues one year, but he ate a ton more fresh fruit and fruity drinks than he was used to having at home. It lasted about a week after we got home but wasn't bad enough for him to miss work or school. My husband and I have always had ALOT of fruity drinks with ice, different kind of beer than we are used to, brushed our teeth with the faucet water , and also had the water available on tap at the buffet restaurants for most of our meals and have never got sick. We have always stayed away from salads and cold meat. Maybe we have just been lucky but we will continue to do what has worked for us next April!

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

We had their ice the whole time we were there. We have gone to Mexico for the last 6 yrs or so. I did eat the fruit too, Lot of pinapple. People told me not to but I did. LOL Never really got sick. a little upset tummy but I think it was from drinking. My Dr. told me to take two tablets of Pepto-Bismol before every meal. Have fun and don't worry to much.

Eat hot foods when they are hot and cold foods when they are cold. Don't eat room temperature sauces. Diarrhea-causing microorganisms can multiply in foods that are allowed to cool or warm to room temperature.

Avoid raw or undercooked meat, fish, or shellfish. Don't eat leafy salads, unpeeled fruit, or fresh vegetables in developing countries. Boiled, baked, or peeled foods are the safest.

Make sure you drink and eat only pasteurized milk and dairy products.

10. Re: Mixed drinks with ice safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 01, 2009