We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hair straightners

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
worthing
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
hair straightners

im going to playa del carmen on 26th june 2007 with my girlfriend.dont know how to break the news that hair straightners might be a bit of a problem. so i thought id do the sensible thing and try and come up with a solution to the problem before she goes potty when i tell her there is a voltage problem with straightners.

can any body help a defenseless boyfriend?

Federal Way...
Level Contributor
94 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hair straightners

There should be no problem. I use my straightener all the time in Mexico. Never had an issue with it. Same with my blow dryer, laptop computer, phone chargers etc. Just go and fun.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hair straightners

You can use a straigtener but it is a total waste of time because with the heat and humidity your girlfriends hair will be curly and frizy again in no time. I would buy her a really good bottle of curling gel and encourage her to relax for the week. I use a straigtener at home about half the time but would never bother down south.

worthing
Level Contributor
48 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hair straightners

thanks for your reply, but we live in the uk and our voltage is 240 volts over here, which is stronger than in mexico. i was wondering if there is a voltage converter that can be bought?

Bel Air Maryland
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hair straightners

I buy hair straightening products from the local salons prior to my trip. On days that I didn't use it on vaca. you could tell !

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hair straightners

Ontario_Sun_lovers you are so right about curly and frizzy! I would strighten my hair and within 10 min. you couldn't even tell.

Manchester
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hair straightners

Somebody has told me there is a transformer you can buy that adjusts the voltage, not sure where you can get them though.

I have just invested in the mark 4 GHD's which are multiple voltage and adjust automatically. Im not going away till July so can't let you know if they work!

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hair straightners

Don't worry as with an ample supply of adult beverages she won't even care. She'll look around at all the other ladies and see what sun and lots of water immersion does and she'll think hers is "way better". You can also have them remove the mirror from your room or use the duct tape (you always carry on a trip) to cover it. It's a lot better than buying or carrying some converter... let her go shoppiing for what she needs at Wal-Mart when you get there. And then you can pick up a BubbaKeg for yourself when you are there.

(Why are you even cluing her into the hair thing ...let her discover it when it is too late. Then offer to get her a session to have her hair braided before she returns to civilization.)

Boston
Level Contributor
126 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hair straightners

i also use a hair straighten daily but didn't bother in Mexico.

I wore a hat or a ponytail during the day at the beach/excursions etc. Let it air dry at night (because with the heat and humity, it will be up before dinner!) Just go relax and dont worry about your hair! You're gonna love it there!

9. Re: hair straightners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 02, 2009