We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
2 posts
Save Topic
Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

I've read that to swim in the cenotes, you should use biodegradable products. I like the idea, whether or not it's "required". However, I don't seem to find an abundance of biodgradable products in my local Walgreens.... anyone know if we'll find options available in Playa? Or perhaps online?

Embarrass, Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

Wal-Mart ...other places in Playa also but you'll pay a little more.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
954 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

You'll pay ALOT more for it in Playa. I had to go to a health food store to find it in my area (Michigan). Plus it is the worse sunscreen I have ever attempted to put on. It is runny but hardly soaks in to the skin. We also bought some in Playa ($$$$$) because I was hoping it would be better..........it wasn't.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

If you have time before you go just do a google or yahoo search for biodegradable sunblock and it should give you tons of options. that's where we found ours. The brand called kiss my face is really good. I've heard that the people at the eco-parks will check your sunscreen though to make sure its the "right" kind of natural sunblock.

Federal Way...
Level Contributor
94 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

We bought the biodegradable sunblock in PDC at the local market and paid about $17 for it! All it was was Banana Boat with a sticker slapped on it. No one checked to see what anyone was using. I have seen some biodegradable sunblock at Big Lots (if they are in your area) for $3. per bottle. That's what I will be bringing this year!

odenton, md
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

I've been looking for some as well, since we are going to be swimming with the dolphins at Xcaret. I finally found that Whole Foods carries a brand called "Aubrey". They also have a website. For a 4 ounce bottle of SPF 20 it's $7.75.

omaha, ne
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

We got a bottle in Cancun few months ago for about $8. Just about any store had it. I'm sure Playa will be the same.

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
306 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

At Xel-ha we traded our bottle of non-biodegradable lotion for a packet of biodegradable lotion when we got there (you get your bottle back when you leave) They did not charge for the packet, so I'm assuming it was included in the all-inclusive ticket price.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
496 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

I got mine in PDC at the snorkeling site and got severly burned despite reapplying several times. Make sure you put the good stuff on before you go and at least you'll have one good layer until it washes off.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

Thanks for the great suggestions. I researched the two brands mentioned "Aubrey" and "Kiss My Face" and found them both locally in a Nutrition shop. The Aubrey web site had great reviews so I bought some... and you're right, it's under $8. and smells great. It says biodegradable on the label so it should pass! PDC here we come!

10. Re: Biodegradable Sunscreen/Sunblock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 02, 2009