We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindo Vs. Quetzal/Tucan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
277 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Lindo Vs. Quetzal/Tucan

Which beach is the best? Iberostar Lindo or the Quetzal??? I understand the Lindo is north of Playa (is the water rough)

Which do you recommend for a family of 4 - 38, 33, 12 and 6

How much is the taxi from Lindo to Playa Del Carmen?

Where's the Iberostar Del Mar located???????

THANKS!

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindo Vs. Quetzal/Tucan

Nicholet: Lindo and Del Mar along with Maya and Beach make up one large resort. The order in $$$'s is Maya, Lindo, Del Mar, Beach. If you book Maya or Lindo you can basically use the entire resort. Del Mar and Beach can just use those two. Some other rules apply like where you can eat, etc. That you have to ask others. Quetzal and Tucan the other two Ib*'s are also basically one resort. Q& T are a lot closer to PDC. Lindo etc have free shuttles to PDC so I wouldn't worry about taxi fare. A few other differences. Maya is all suite resort but very $$$. When are you going? If in summer, Maya and Lindo restaurants and lobby have AC, Most of Q & T do not. Big thing to me as we are going in June/July.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
277 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindo Vs. Quetzal/Tucan

Thanks for your input. We just got back from Hawaii and booking for next Spring. We've been to Playa Del Carmen before and stayed at the Allegra. We'd like to upgrade a little but liked the location just outside of Playa. But from what I'm seeing and hearing, the coast north of Playa has rough water??? Did you see that at the Lindo/Del Mar? Whereas the Tucan/Quet are in Playacar.

If we stay at the Tucan/Quet, are we granted privelages over to Lindo or Del Mar??? Just curious..

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lindo Vs. Quetzal/Tucan

The water tends to be rougher at the Lindo, but it really depends on the weather. The water is a prettier color at the Quetzel. Both have nice beaches. The beach is bigger at the Lindo, but there are also alot more people. At the Quetzel the beach is very close to the pool and some buildings are beachfront. At the Lindo there is a large mangrove between the resort and the beach and you walk to the beach on a raised wooden path.

A taxi from the Lindo to PDC is about $18. There is a free shuttle which drops you off about 5 min. from 5th Ave. The Taxi from the Quetzel is $5. or you can walk. The Quetzel is in the Playacar development and there is a nice shopping plaza there also. It is a short walk .

The Quetzel/Tucan probably compares more to the Beach/DelMar than the Lindo. The Lindo and the Maya would compare more closely to each other. The Quetzel, as well as the Beach/DelMar will be Buffet dining with several Ala cartes to choose from, and the number of times depends on the lenght of your stay. The Lindo offers Alacarte dining everynight.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lindo Vs. Quetzal/Tucan

I believe the Tucan/Quetzel have preveliges at the Beach/Delmar, not the Lindo. Also that is only for daytime, you would have to leave by 6 pm and you would have to have your own transportation.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
277 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lindo Vs. Quetzal/Tucan

Thank you so much!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lindo Vs. Quetzal/Tucan

For a spring vacation, I would save the extra bucks from the Lindo, and go to the Tucan/Quetzal. Wish I could!!! :) In summer, I would definitely choose the Lindo for air conditioning lunch buffet. If you love a la carte dining every night, go to the Lindo. The buffet is great though - especially for kids. My vote goes to the Tucan/Quetzal - for better chances of swimming, lower cost and beautiful color water!!!!

For history, I have been to the Iberostar Del Mar/Beach, Lindo, Gran Porto Real and recently the Riu Tequila (great lower cost option). When at the IB Beach we took the free shuttle to Playa Del Carmen, a taxi to the Tucan, and spent the day there. So many choices - you almost have to make top priorities and make your decision. Good luck!