We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/pl…

Just when I'd finally settled on a property. I'm excited about the prospect of earning Hilton points unexpectedly for my upcoming stay in January, but I hope the alliance does not change all the fundamental greatness I've read about the Royal.

6 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,665 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance

Depending upon how you booked your stay (and, I suspect, the rate you paid), your upcoming stay may not be eligible for Hilton points.

I recently stayed at a "Jewel" resort in Jamaica which was bought by the Playa group a few months ago. My vacation was the "package" variety with air, ground transfers and hotel all bundled as one entity and sold to me by a "package" company. For clarification, this was NOT a package I put together myself; rather, I went to the seller who had, I'm pretty sure, bought blocks of rooms from various hotels at preferential rates.

My existing Hilton points made me eligible for a discount at the spa or for the "special" dinner on the beach at Jewel but my stay didn't earn me any points. I even double checked this with Hilton when I got home and they confirmed that my stay wasn't eligible for new points.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance

I’m really hoping they count since I booked directly on the resort’s website. I’ll be glad when more details are released.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
862 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance

The "Hilton Playa Del Carmen" will be under renovation from Nov. 2018 until Nov. 2019.

https:/…d621370dex992.htm

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance

Thank you for sharing this Steve! A wealth of information... I hope they stick to this schedule because as it stands it looks like minimal disruption for my Jan trip. If the timeline is accelerated I’m going to have to revert to a back-up option. Thanks again!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance

Wreckdiver 😳. That’s a long renovation..

anaylsis, if there is one thing I have learned the hard way is always book direct. If you have any hope of getting the Hilton points it’s going to be because you didn’t use a 3rd party. No hate please, I am only stating my opinion from years of learning things the wrong way. I sure hope you have a great trip!!!

please come back and to a “live “ update post for us only if you have time. Want to hear how it’s going and what your hearing from staff and other travelers. Let us know about the points!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance

I will be sure to do that partygirl40. I'm a Marriott girl when traveling for work, but I pick up Hilton points on 5-7 trips throughout the year, so this should be a nice addition to my points balance. I heard in a FB group that even now some of the signage is starting to change.

Reply to: Hilton and the Royal Playa del Carmen Strategic Alliance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted