We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

Aside from the tragic accident that occured on the property in 2003, can some of you share your experiences and opinions of this property? Is it a more "upscale" type of resort with many offerings? How were the rooms and food items? Could you dine in the a la carte restaurants each night?

Scott

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

I am well aware of the Brent Midlock story and that whole situation is so sad. I think that I even made a previous post about how I didn't feel right about staying in such a place that would treat the whole situation with such disrespect. I do hear that the property is very nice. What about the Riu Palace and the property next door. If you stay at one Riu can you play at others?

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

Yes, if you stay at the Palace you can "play" at any of the Riu resorts including the one's in Cancun. I love the Palace, it's really a great place and the staff is very friendly. How old are your children? Maybe I can give some advice???

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

Two girls.... 18 and 9

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

The Riu resorts are in a gated community called Playacar. There are 5 Riu hotels in the same within a block or so of each other. All of the hotels have a children���s pool, playground, some have mini-clubs. 4 of the Riu���s have discos (for the 19 yr. old and you of course). There is also a shopping mall, some small ruins and a bird sanctuary within a block or two of the hotels. The shopping mall also has a place to rent bikes.

I think between, pottery painting, bingo, hotel ���behind the scene��� tours, boogie boarding, volleyball, beach parties etc. the girls will find plenty to keep them busy.

My husband and I have stayed at many resorts in the area, but once we tried the Palace nothing else compared. We get the best of 5 resorts, and the upscale food and beverages at the Palace.

If there���s any other questions you have, please feel free to ask. I���m counting the days on my vacation timer. You should get it for your up-coming trip (http://www.ag2networks.com/PDCTimer.htm) and talking about it makes it seem closer.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

Wow, now this is an idea as I didn't know that the Riu resorts were all located in the same complex.

Austin, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

Hey Scott! We stayed at there, but definetely get a room at the Royal Club. The food there is SOO much better than the restaurants in the hotel. Steak, shrimp, and TONS OF CHAMPAGNE!!! The guests not staying in the Royal Club, can't eat at the RC restaurant. Oh, if you don't go RC, the restaurant, El Pescador is pretty good. The scenery is great too! Oh, eat the Ceviche. Raw fish in Mexico is scary, I know, but it was GREAT and had no problems. The beach is very small, so if you are a beach lover, you may be disgruntled. we are beach lovers, and although it was small, we would still stay there again. The RC is definetely worth the money.Let me know if you have other questions. GOOD LUCK!

Austin, Texas
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

I belive the.liquor.man asked if they had a putt putt golf course for kids... if so, we were there in nov. of 03 and they were in the process of building one. I would assume that they are done by now. you can always go to www.occidentalhotels.com and select grand xcaret and ask one of the customer reps.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
362 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Grand Xcaret by Occidental opinions/reviews wanted!

Urento,

I did ask that initial question so thank you for bringing that to my attention. Does anyone know if the Grand Xcaret has putt putt golf? I sent an email to the property on 11.04.04 but I have yet to hear anything back as of yet.

Scott