We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has the Gala been Sold?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Has the Gala been Sold?

I read on a thread that the Gala may have sold to Rui effective 4/15. Doeas anyone know if this is true?. We are going on 4/22 and are crossing our fingers that we are not going to have to deal with renovations or new staff.

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has the Gala been Sold?

I know for a fact new management was put in place on tuesday Feb. 15th and the rumor was that it was the RIU. Don't have any info on any changes. Maybe if you go to playainfo.com and post a question to Playamaya (Steve Ryberg, manager of that resort) he might have some insider info. Good luck and let us know if you find anything out!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has the Gala been Sold?

We were at the Gala from February 19-26. I was introduced to a senior staff member by a repeat guest. The first topic of conversation was that the property had changed hands on February 15. There was no mention of the identity of the new owners.

My Tommy's House
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has the Gala been Sold?

I have been told that this hotel is opening under a new name (Sandos Caracol) in November, and that they are building an additional 500 rooms.

I've been trying to find information, but am having a hard time confirming any of it.

RMP
Chicago
Level Contributor
431 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has the Gala been Sold?

bump

Lost
Level Contributor
773 posts
4 reviews