We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

Looking for recommendations on whether or not to choose an All Inclusive hotel for 2 recently singles travelling solo to PDC. Bit worried that an all inclusive will mean we get stuck in the hotel the whole time. I have been to an Adults only all inclusive hotel in Cancun a few years ago, and loved it but that was as a couple ... so keen to go somewhere new and we want to enjoy the vibe of the location. We ideally want to stay on the beach at a higher end resort. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
All-inclusive hotels in Playa del Carmen
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
Grand Velas Riviera Maya
#4 of 219 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 hotels in Playa Paraiso
11 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

IMHO, AI or not really depends upon the sort of vacation you want. If you plan on doing a lot of sight-seeing, excursions and exploring, then there really doesn't seem to be much point in spending money on all the facilities of an AI (including the food and booze), if you're not going to be around to enjoy it. On the other hand, if you want a chill-on-the-beach, relax and be waited on hand and foot kind of trip, then AI will likely be a perfect fit for you. Of course, even if you do go AI, it's not like you're sequestered on the resort; you *can* leave if you want to.

And if you want the best of both worlds, do a split stay. My recommendation is that you do the non-AI first and then spend the second half of your vacation allowing sand gravity to take hold.

If you want some specific hotel and/or resort recommendations, then a wish list of amenities and budget (per room, per night) would be useful.

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

Hi, thanks for the advice. I think that we want a relax on the beach, be waited on, (with food and booze) but also explore the location, and nightlife/dance a little. Not too interested in sightseeing as this won't be my first time to the area. Sadly only in PDC for 6 nights so not keen to move hotels. Thompson Beach Hotel, and Grand Hyatt look nice... for AI was looking at Melia Paradisus. Any views on those? Ideally looking for an on the beach resort/hotel, with decent food, a good bar or two, and relaxing swimming pool area if we're sick of sand in our togs :), with good wait service.

Mentioned in this post
Thompson Playa Del Carmen
1,043 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

I'd suggest staying right in, or very close to, Playa del Carmen. The Royal Playa del Carmen is a very nice adult only, all inclusive hotel right in town and would work well if it's within your budget. The Royal Hideaway in Playacar might work for you too. It's on a better beach than the RPDC and has a reputation as a very quiet resort. It's adult only, all inclusive and very close to Playa del Carmen, so plenty of nightlife, bars, shopping, restaurants if you want them.

If neither of those appeal to you, then check out the Riu resorts in Playacar. The Riu Palaces are a step up from the regular Rius and, IMHO, worth the additional cost. Rius are all-inclusive but not adult only.

If you want to eschew the AI concept altogether, then consider Playa Maya, a non AI hotel right on the beach in Playa del Carmen. Or you could look at condos in PdC. With both hotels and condos, the closer you are to the beach, the higher the price. If you're travelling on a budget, consider staying a block or two back from the beach and you'll save a bundle.

Hope this helps and happy researching!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,765 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
5,097 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
355 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Playa Maya
Playa Maya
674 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
NY
Level Contributor
494 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

Grand Hyatt is a nice resort that is close to 5th avenue (walking distance), where many restaurants, bars, and clubs are located

Another option could be the Carmen Hotel, they have a nice rooftop pool with great views. Also close to 5th Avenue

Beach is better at the Grand Hyatt

Mentioned in this post
The Carmen Hotel
The Carmen Hotel
660 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

Here is my take on the AI, we do them and really work on getting a great deal then we go off resort as much as we want. We know at the end or the beginning of the day our drinks and meals are taken care of without a ton of extra cost. If we were spending a ton on an AI then I would feel bad about wasting it being off resort a lot. We actually do about half our time off the resort and stick with mid-range AI. This being said we don't go out and party at night but do most of our exploring during the day and enjoy our adult beverages at the resort in the evening.

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

Thank you. Good idea and yeah, pretty sure we'd feel compelled to waste the AI if it is expensive. When you say mid-range AI, which would you recommend? Do you negotiate your AI deals directly with the hotel?

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

Thanks, I did at The Carmen Hotel, but don't think it is quite for me. Good to know the Grand Hyatt is worth considering as it's probably one of two preferred at the moment.

Edited: 8:13 pm, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
The Carmen Hotel
The Carmen Hotel
660 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

How long are you going for?

You can always stay a few nights at a regular hotel to do some excursions & explore riviera Maya & end your vacation at an all inclusive. This is what we did.

Check: The fives downton Playa del carmen. Nice hotel with beautiful rooftop pool. perfect location right in the center of playa & convenient to take the ADO bus to Tulum or Colectivos. Then pick an AI.

Edited: 11:25 am, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ado
Ado
610 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

Another recommendation for The Royal Playa Del Carmen unless you meant that's the one you looked at and it's not for you. I'd go there on a friend's trip in a heartbeat. It's got the luxury/service you want and couldn't be in a better location for getting to some dancing/bars/shopping. Depending on the time of year I can find it in the same range as Grand Hyatt and Thompson...neither of which are all inclusive. Grand Hyatt is right next door to the Royal. It looks like a more modern resort but the number of kids we see there and the crazy loud beach club are deal breakers for us...and I get free Hyatt nights.

Another suggestion would be the 2 bedroom Presidential suite at Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres. It's on a beautiful beach and is within walking distance to bars and nightlife. The two bedroom suite has a huge private patio and pool, too.

Edited: 12:06 pm, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,765 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
1,043 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Privilege Aluxes
Privilege Aluxes
3,237 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC

Thanks for the replies - Sadly only 6 nights this time around - long way to come but have some time constraints... Crazy loud beach club and kids sounds off-putting for the Hyatt - good to know. Still considering Thompson for non-inclusive, but checking into a couple of the recommendations here too. Will post again once back.

Mentioned in this post
1,043 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reply to: All Inclusive hotel or not for 2 singles travelling to PDC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;