We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
san diego
Level Contributor
151 posts
Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

Our flight arrives at 9am, we can't check-in to our airbnb til 3. They said they can put our luggage in storage but not until 12 noon. Our place is 50 min from Cancun airport. If we left the airport after collecting our luggage that would probably put us in Playa del Carmen around 10:30.

BUT I really don't want to be wandering around Playa del Carmen with a bunch of luggage. Does that mean I should sit at the airport for that 2 hours? If so, are there good restaurants there that serve breakfast?

One thing I thought was that we could take a private transfer and maybe do some grocery shopping - but will the transfer person be willing to waste 1 1/2 to 2 hrs waiting on us? And if so will that cost us an arm and a leg? AND - - I may be a little paranoid but I'm a little hesitant to leave all my luggage in someone else's car for 2 hrs in case they get the urge to just drive off with our stuff...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

11 replies to this topic
Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

The ADO bus station has luggage storage facilities. Easy to get to and won't break the bank.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

Figure 1 hour to get out of the airport (hopefully less) and a hour to Playa. Hopefully you can put your luggage in storage before noon. Make sure you can change into shorts and wander around Playa. I would eat lunch at Playa Maya and have the coconut shrimp.

Vermont
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
84 reviews
3. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

"but will the transfer person be willing to waste 1 1/2 to 2 hrs waiting on us?"

For the right price, absolutely.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,316 posts
1 review
4. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

You can stop at a grocery store, the transfer companies, at least USA and Canada Transfers, will charge you $30 for each hour's stop at a grocery store. Grocery store shop must be booked in advance normally so the company can build that time into their driver's schedule.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

That's what you get if you book an Airbnb instead of a hotel. A taxi driver will be thrilled to wait for you if you pay them their hourly rate.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

Just take the ADO from the airport to PDC then walk upstairs and drop your luggage. Go grab some food with your feet in the sand while you wait. So easy!

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,262 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

I will 2nd HappyBubbles idea. Wah Wah’s beach bar is just a two block walk from the ADO bus station. After 3 pm just take a taxi from the ADO station to your BnB, or walk to it if it’s close enough.

san diego
Level Contributor
151 posts
8. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!! ADO bus, storage lockers and lunch in PDC sound right up our alley, that way we can get our vacation started.

Anyone know how much the lockers are? If they are big enough for 2 mid sized check-ins?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,425 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

It is probably a storage room and the price is cheap...not worth stressing over.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
10. Re: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?

At the ADO terminal, it's a storage room (no lockers), with an attendant.

The rates are pesos per hour depending on the size of the luggage. For example, an object with a minimum size 55 cm is 12 pesos per hour. The most expensive is for an object 70 cm (minimum): 20 pesos per hour.

There is one other category: 100 pesos for all day.

Prices are from 2016 (I took a photo of the rate chart), so they might have changed.

I've used the storage room once -- no problems.

Edited: 1:54 pm, December 06, 2017
Reply to: Early arriving flight, can't check-in til 3 what to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted