We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many questions, so little time...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan U.P.
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
So many questions, so little time...

After reading so many suggestions, opinions and reviews, I still have a few questions that keep coming up. I wonder why so many people hope for "upgrades" when they arrive at their resort. We are staying at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach resort and we have what they call "Run of House". I'm not sure what that means. I know they have junior suites also. Is a junior suite that much nicer? Why do they upgrade some and not others? Would it be worth my while to email them and ask for an upgrade? Will I have to pay extra? And what about requesting a room? Or just a room location. We're going for a kind of second honeymoon (actually our first). I'd like a room that's a little more secluded and not by a lot of noise. Any suggestions?

orlando,fl
Level Contributor
502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: So many questions, so little time...

A $50.00 bill in hand at check in usually get you an upgrade if it's available, just don't flash it for everyone to see,if you know you are going to spend a lot of time in your room,it's worth it.The suites are usually on the better side of the resort and beach front or ocean view some with own jaccuzi and pool,emailing and asking for an upgrade the day before departure might be worth a shot,just get a name and let them know you will take care of them when you check in,some resorts are only $20-$30/night more for the suites.If you want to be sure to get one,just pay the extra $$.

Michigan U.P.
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many questions, so little time...

Thanks for the input. Funny how a little extra $$ will get you what you want. How about requesting a room or bldg that's a little more private. I just don't want to be right across from or next to a noisy bar, etc... What bldg would be a little quieter? By the beach, or lobby, or where?

Kelowna, BC
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many questions, so little time...

Myshi

Run of House rooms are generally a blend of the standard type of room within the hotel. A run of house room is determined by the hotel, based on availability. You typically can't specify the exact room (2queen-size beds or king bed, ocean vs. garden view) but you can request your preference. We stayed two weeks at the RIU Tequila and emailed our preferences ahead of time to them on our own as well as through our Travel Agent. They accommodated everything we asked for, though we didn't ask to move from a standard room to a suite. I think email the hotel tell them what you would like and why and most hotels will try to accommodate you. Though if your heart is set on a suite then that might be what you should book. Have a great time and enjoy your 2nd honeymoon!!

4. Re: So many questions, so little time...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 29, 2009