We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

Tripadvisor is being accusing of deleting negative reports of Playa del carmen Area

312 replies to this topic
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
580 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

Starting the count down...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
266 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

I haven't read the article. That being said, I think the posts that are removed are more the alarmist and/or misinformation type posts.

Dallas
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

MY original story posted and removed in 2010 of rape by a security guard at the Iberostar.

Here is the story republished 7 years later:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15081…

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

What has the Mexican authorities done recently in regards to all the stories of drugging, tainted alcohol, rape, and death. It appears more and more Americans have or are, coming forward.

Seriously, is it safe to travel there now? Do not want to go there if no one is taking this seriously!!!!

5. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, November 07, 2017

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

What stories of 'drugging and tainted alcohol'?

The 'tainted alcohol' they found was not drugged, but bootlegged or otherwise illegal.

The brother and his sister who died, had their blood tested later and no drugs were found in their system. Most likely an unfortunate case of way too many shots combined with being in a pool.

Is it safe to travel there? I'd say judging by the stats, tourists are exceptionally safe in Mexico, actually. Do the math.

Now, not sure I'd feel as safe traveling to Vegas or New York......

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,455 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

as far as the deleting posts- most post and threads on TA are deleted by forum members- not Trip Advisor staff. People click on the 'report inappropriate content' enough, it gets threads closed and posts go 'poof'.

Now if it makes you feel better to blame the big bad company, by all means.....but get your facts straight, maybe.

Dallas
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

In Vegas or New York, they would call the police for a victim of rape. The criminal would be in prison.

Dallas
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

MY facts couldn't be more straight!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,288 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor

If that is the same newspaper that had the fake news articles about two young siblings being given alleged "tainted alcohol" then I have no confidence in their reporting.

Reportedly, and not verified that I know of, the brother and sister had blood alcohol content of around 0.25 if my memory is correct.

I don't get drunk but that seems extremely excessive, especially around a pool with possibly no one sober and observant nearby after it was dark.

Reply to: Tripadvisor, IN Todays MIwaukee Journal Accusing Tripadvisor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted