We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broke! Can I have a good time?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Broke! Can I have a good time?

Paid for AI last year at the Royal Playa del Carmen. Now it's time for the trip and no money. Is it safe to go with 20 bucks or should I try and get out of it? Says gratuities food and drink are incl.

56 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

Welcome to the forum

Everything is included in an AI. Tipping is optional so technically you could go AI for the trip with $20.

The only extras are getting to and from airports (may be included in your trip) and in my case dog care at home.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

Cool! Transfers included too. I've never done an AI. You really eat for $0 at all the resort restaurants? If so, I'll just spend7 days in the resort.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,647 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

Yup veg out for 7 days. Enjoy.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,559 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

"Transfers included too"

Is that a question or a statement?

FWIW, whilst tipping is never required, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable stiffing someone who'd provided me exemplary service.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,248 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

You are going to stroll 5th Avenue at night, it's free and entertaining. Spend that $20 on Gelato. The RPDC is one of the more luxurious resorts, you will be living large.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

You might need that $20 to catch the ADO bus to town and back to the airport.

Just sayin'

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

Please note the posts about your transportation. It does not sound like you have a package that includes transportation or I think you would know about it. Checking into that should be your next step. I do find it interesting that you had enough money to pay to stay at the Royal a year ago and now you have $20 to your name? How are you getting to your home airport? My husband and I had an emergency fund established before we felt we could afford a nice vacation. Sorry to sound so preachy but, I just don't understand how some people live and since I run a small business and deal with people who can't afford to pay the reasonable weekly fee, I find this to be an interesting topic.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,559 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

" I just don't understand how some people live"

I'm with you on that Darlene.

I hope the OP has access to appropriate funds available to cover medical or any other emergency which may arise.

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

I would feel horrible not being able to tip the staff. We always tip the staff as we know some who work at beach clubs and resorts. They told us how much they earn and depend on tips.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broke! Can I have a good time?

Hola Gato,

The question is, "Should I go or try to get out of it?" and no one has said try to get out of it. The OP lives in New York City. If he has a ride to and from his home airport and they don't show up at the end of his vacation it sounds like he won't have money for a taxi or Uber home. I am picturing him on a street corner in New York holding sign that says,"Spend my last $20 in Mexico". So confused.

Reply to: Broke! Can I have a good time?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted