We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with an infant for the first time

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling with an infant for the first time

Howdy. We have been to the area more than 15 times in the past 10 or so years. We usually stay at adults only AI's on the Mainland, but we have stayed at Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujeres on most of our more recent trips. Our next trip will be with our son (3 mos today), and while I originally thought I would wait until he was 2 to take him on a plane, I am getting the itch especially bad because we did not go anywhere this year. I am thinking about next spring, so he will be 9-12 mos.

1. Any advice

2. Suggestions for higher end resorts (think Excellence, RPDC level) that are good for families with young children. Also, we are looking for places supply a lot of the things babies need so we don't have to schlep a ton down there. Anywhere from Isla Mujeres to Tulum is game.

3. Here is one issue - a friend of our suggested renting a house with a pool because you won't want to keep running up to the room for naps and changing. It would be nice to have the baby steps away. I don't want to rent a house, because I want to be a resort with the amenities and services. Is there anywhere where we could get large poolside cabanas or multiple beech/pool front casitas guaranteed in the same building (may travel with in laws and it would be nice with we were all together)?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Privilege Aluxes
Privilege Aluxes
3,292 Reviews
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
#3 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Banyan Tree Mayakoba
#2 of 220 hotels in Playa del Carmen
27 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,584 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

The Grand Palladium is very baby friendly. They even have a baby food room service menu! They will help you get diapers and other supplies. They have a baby club (1+) and babysitters (extra charge).. The chef will make your baby's favorite food in the buffets. Great pools for little people with zero entry.

High chairs, new pak n plays. Colonial would be the best if you have a stroller and has Jr suites with a little more room. White Sand has some 2 room suites.

Akumal forum

Mentioned in this post
Akumal
Akumal
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

Having two kids myself, the thought of taking a 3 month old infant on vacation to Mexico is something I could never imagine. The risk would never be worth the "itch", for a out of country vacation, could never be justified.

Several things that are beyond scary;

The water has bacteria that the most of the US does not have, commonly refered to as Montezuma's Revenge. Might take an adult a day or two to recover from, a 3 month olf infant might not survive. One ice cube or a drop of water that has not been filtered could be fatal.

The sun and humidity are intense, you or spouse will have the constant mission of keeping your baby cool, that is not an easy chore for an adult, but a fussy baby?

The abover poster, tallks about getting a baby sitter, really? Giving your 3 month old infant to a stranger?

God forbid, your infant does get sick, are you ready to dole out the maybe $20,000 US, that the hosiptal will want upfront to care for your infant?

Just my thoughts..

Edited: 12:46 am, September 23, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,584 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

Jack the OP was talking about bringing his child at 9-12 months old which is the same time I started traveling with my child (now 20+). The babysitters at the resort I mentioned are all mothers who live on the resort. No random people.

The water at the resort I mentioned is very safe. Employees live there with their families.

I think you are being hysterical.

4. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, September 23, 2017

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

you are indeed hysterical.

I suppose you think Mexico is too dangerous for babies - It might surprise you to learn that Mexicans have many babies of their own. they even live in warm and hot climates. you have to think more about stuff before you post it.

babies handle weather just like adults do. they are simply small Homo sapiens. Cold weather is more of an issue, as they don't have as much body mass to keep heat .

Edited: 2:10 am, September 23, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

2 Years ago, someone on my flight to Cancun had an infant. It cried for 3 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

If you have never flown with a baby may I suggest google. "When should babies fly?" or "baby first flight" things like that. BabyMed and other sites have some excellent advice you may not even be thinking about. Some of that advise may even be helpful for long flights and the discomfort of your fellow passengers like bob. And me. It never hurts to research right?

Some flight attendants can be helpful if you can find one that's pleasant.

Edited: 9:58 am, September 23, 2017
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,584 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

Some babies have painful ears when flying so talk to your pediatrician if you decide to fly with baby. We always gave our daughter baby Tylenol before flying.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

duckbilled, I have no personal experience, but you might want to check out The Finest, Playa Mujeres. A couple we know went there awhile back when their daughter was just coming up to one year old. They reported having a very positive experience.

Mentioned in this post
Finest Playa Mujeres
Finest Playa Mujeres
4,455 Reviews
Playa Mujeres, Mexico
10. Re: Traveling with an infant for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, September 23, 2017

Reply to: Traveling with an infant for the first time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted