We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price Increase?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Hanna, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Price Increase?

Do any of you seasoned travellers anticipate significant price increases in the Riviera Maya now that some of the Caribbean hot spots have been destroyed by Irma?

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
12 replies to this topic
Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price Increase?

We've booked since aug 23rd but it's an obsession lol so we look at prices all the time. Having said that, I've noticed this week that prices have gone up. Nov/Dec have slightly increased and the week we booked in Jan has gone up $186 per person. But, this is also the time the prices start to increase. My best advice is download the flight price tracker and watch flight prices then book accordingly. FYI we use hopper but I'm sure there are plenty

Hanna, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price Increase?

We are looking at an AI, does a flight price tracker give you a good indication of what the overall AI resort prices will do?

new york
Level Contributor
119 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price Increase?

Our vacation went down this week first week of December but I booked my seats when we booked in August

duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price Increase?

I was thinking the same thing. Many of the winter travel destinations have been destroyed. I expect prices to go up

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price Increase?

"Many of the winter travel destinations have been destroyed. I expect prices to go up."

IMHO "some" of the winter travel destinations have been destroyed. Some have also been damaged. The importance of repairing the damaged destinations is a high priority for the respective governments because of it's inhabitants and surely due to the the tourism dollars. That leaves a "few" destinations that have been destroyed. That work will take years.

That being said; I believe the prices will rise in the Riviera Maya. Airline prices may rise because other service has been interrupted significantly. Lodging prices will rise for no apparent reason because most people that visited these islands, that were destroyed, are more of an "island" type of tourist and have no use for any mainland which includes Mexico. There are other islands that will do whatever is needed to get the business now ruined by the hurricane destruction.

@bob: my comments are intended to give another opinion and are not intended, in any way, to attack your post.

Mentioned in this post
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
England, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price Increase?

We was due to go Cayo coco but Irma destroyed our hotel, after seeing pictures next day after Irma hit,I knew mine would be cancelled and thought everyone will go Mexico now do I booked riviera maya, we Got good deal in uk for ocean coral H10, the next day it was £450 more.

Mentioned in this post
Cayo Coco
Cayo Coco
Jardines del Rey Archipelago, Cuba
Mexico
Mexico
North America
New York
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price Increase?

You would be surprised how fast the" vacation hot spots" are rebuilt and back to normal.

New York
Level Contributor
350 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price Increase?

As long time visitors to St. John as well as Mexico, I can tell you that both of the US Virgin Islands (St. John and St. Thomas) will be needing a long time to recover. Their buildings are in rubble, maybe 20-30% only left standing unharmed according to the reports I am reading. They will rebuild over the next year, but construction noise will be prevalent. But rebuild they must; both islands whole economies run on tourist dollars. I hope to bring mine to help once they are ready.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Mexico
Mexico
North America
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
duluth,mn
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price Increase?

St Thomas, St John, St Barts, Anguilla, Turks and Caicos, Cuba, and the Florida Keys, just to name a few

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price Increase?

And now with Hurricane Maria whipping thru the mess it's only going to get worse. Puerto Rico may be a direct hit and that's where many of the evacuees are. Thoughts and prayers to all of my island friends. Barbuda looks to be built back up from scratch.

That being said and to address the OP's question: YES, I see significant price increases coming to the Riviera Maya

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Riviera Maya
Riviera Maya
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Reply to: Price Increase?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted