We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Customs

Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as customs, and what they check and do. This is our first trip out of the cuntry, and we are so nervous.

Astoria,OR
Level Contributor
327 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs

After you pick up your luggage, you will stand in line with your Customs Form- you will have a button to push, if its green you walk through, if it is red, you get pulled over and have your luggage inspected. sometimes they just open it up &close it, other times they go through it, I think it depends on how busy they are.

Iowa
Level Contributor
949 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs

From when I've gone-it's all pretty simple. You fill out a form while still on the plane (attendant hands them out) and answer questions regarding your trip-how long, for what reason, etc. Once you are at the airport. You get in line and give them that and your passport You then press a button-if it's green-you are free to go. If it's red-they ask you further questions and check your stuff. As far as I know-the green vs. red is totally random and luck of the draw. We've never had a problem and have gotten through pretty painlessly-did get the red once-they just quickly look through your stuff-still can be a bit embarressing (we were on our honeymoon-lots of nighties!), but not a big deal

oz
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs

its not that bad ! some times the lines are crazy. they have you walk in line then you come to a area where there is a stop and go light thing. you press the button green light go. if a red light comes up they have you put your luggage on the table and they look thru it. no biggie unless your hiding something !!! make sure you fill out your tourist card on the plane, dont wait till you land. do not talk to the timeshare sharks !!!

boston, ma
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs

If you have a layover anywhere on the way back it is a pain in the butt because you have to get your luggage @ baggage claim & then go through US customs & then recheck it & then catch your connecting flight - if you're on a short layover it can be a tad stressful!

Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs

Thanks for all the responses. We are celebrating our 20th anniversary this year at Secrets Capri . We are so excited.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs

Find out if your airline has a limit on the weight of your luggage when you are leaving Mexico. Our limit was written on our e-ticket and the Mexican staff in the airport do weigh your luggage when you check it. We had to pay $5 per kilogram that we were overweight. We were warned about this at the resort, so we had transferred a lot of the weight to our carry-on, which they didn't weigh.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs

Ya know - I never understood the "green light vs. red light" thing and what is it? Numbered to turn red after so many walk through or what? That is weird.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,521 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs

Many countries do a variation of the red light-green light. They claim it is random but who knows if it really is or how it is programmed.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs

I don't think that makes sense (now watch, they'll have me "redlighted" when I hit customs in April) - But then again, unless you set something off - they can't just pick and choose and I guess the red light - green light thing gives them a reason.

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs

Just be prepared that when you LEAVE Cancun, your bags get checked twice. You go through Security and then just before you board your plane, they'll search your bags again.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico