We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

Hi,

We're arriving this week and wanted to check 5th avenue out but I've read some posts here that have me a bit apprehensive, especially now in light of the recent shooting. Is 5th avenue safe to walk around during the day with a 16 month old? My sister has visited the area and mentioned aggressive vendors and people trying to sell you drugs. I would hope they wouldn't bother with us since we have a baby but who knows. Anyway, would it be ok to walk around and do a little souvenir shopping and are there any particular areas we should check out?

Thanks in advance!

1. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, February 01, 2017
Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
291 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

Perfectly safe.

Playa del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
9,228 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

Biggest worry would be them losing their footing on the non-smooth brick pavement and/or just the same concern anytime toddlers are out there in pedestrian traffic and might take unpredictable paths or not be seen by us big people. :-)

Seattle
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

In the evenings it can get really crowded, sometime absolutely packed, you want to keep a very close eye or hold on to them

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
13,249 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

Saw lots of little folks on 5th tonight. Good thing there are so many gelato shops.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

Great, thanks so much for the help guys. Looks like we'll be headed there this Sunday!

Prairies
Level Contributor
203 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

We had our kids of all ages (2 up to 16) with us on 5th. We were not once offered drugs as we walked as a family and I can say that I was never offered drugs even without the kids in PDC. I have had the offers in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta and way too many times while in Jamaica. I think a couple of the adult males were approached about that was it. The vendors I found closer to the ferry terminal where wanting to call you into their stores but honestly I can say that I did not find any of it as aggressive as the other places I have mentioned. A simple no thanks or just ignore and keep walking. As for the shooting, realize that unfortunately bad stuff can happen anywhere..including any mall, school, church, city or town anywhere in the world.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,839 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

In hundreds of walks along 5th Ave, I've been offered drugs once, and have yet to meet a vendor I'd consider aggressive. The most aggressive it gets is the women offering massages.

The worst part of the walk is the crowd! If I'm in a hurry, I prefer walking on one of the other avenues.

For souvenir shopping, make your first stop the big store on the corner of 5th & Av. Benito Juarez (opposite the ADO bus terminal). Check out the prices and then head out and see if you can find lower prices.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
105 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

We walked 5th multiple times a day with our young children a few weeks ago. Like others have mentioned there are ice cream shops every few feet! I would definitely not use the word aggressive when describing vendors, slightly annoying at most. Do not be fooled by the ones who claim to know you though! They look at your hotel bracelet and try to draw you in for a sell.

Also noteworthy, there is a playground at the end of 5th by where the ferry boats dock that our kids really enjoyed :) GL!

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5th Avenue safe for toddlers?

We travel to Akumal frequently and often make the trip to PDC for dinner and to walk around. We always bring our daughter who is 6. She was 16m her first trip. We have never felt unsafe nor have we ever been harassed or offered drugs.