We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about El Faro

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Question about El Faro

A few years ago my husband and I stayed at El Faro Surf 309. It's an amazing unit and we rented through rentalsyourway.com. This summer we are planning on going back with our kids and with another family and are looking at getting two units.

I've got a whole chart going of the various 3 bedrooms. (Possibly 1 2 bedroom)

The other family is very flexible but I'm hoping to get one of the beachfront units.

I'm having a hard time finding rates or rental for some of the units and I wonder if people know if Reef 401 is in a rental pool? It comes up on the elfaro.net website but when you go to the booking section there are quite a few that no longer show up in the list...like Coral 203 or Reef 301 or Coral 302 and 304.

I'm bummed to see that some of the 2 bedrooms also only have two beds. That was surprising to me.

Does anyone have any info about some of these units? I'm also considering Luna Encantada but the pool at El Faro is more interesting to all the kids (all teens).

Thanks for any help!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about El Faro

There are multiple (2 major anyway, rentalsyourway and Susan Mattingly's) agencies responsible for renting many of El Faro units. If you go to VRBO, you'll see most, if not all, of the units that are available for rent. You may pay a bit of a premium renting through VRBO as opposed to using rentalsyourway, for instance, but this may afford you some protection in case shenanigans ensue and the agency runs away with your money. I have stayed at El Faro many times, but not Luna Encantada. I don't think the pool would factor into my decision not to stay at LE, it seems fairly similar to me, though perhaps a tad more shaded in the late afternoon because the "U" formed by the LE buildings seems a bit narrower than EF. In the hot summer, more afternoon shade may be a positive to some.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about El Faro

Thank you for your reply. I'm surprised that you say might be safer through vrbo...I would think that's less secure than an established realty company?

I always do my searches on vrbo but end up using a realtor, thinking that's safer.

Unfortunately quite a few that I'm interested in either don't seem to be on any sites or are through Airbnb and I'm not comfortable using them.

Hopefully I can find more information

Thanks again for your help

Level Contributor
96 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about El Faro

Stayed at Luna Encantada last year. 2bdrm . One with a king and second bedroom with 2 queen beds. Its was great, no problems, security was good as well.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about El Faro

If you go through VRBO, you'll still be using rentalsyourway or one of the other rental agencies, but paying via VRBO. If you pay via VRBO, then they will guarantee your booking and refund you if you get shafted by the rental agency or whomever manages the property. Personally, I book directly with rentalsyourway and have never had a problem, but some people like the extra protection provided by a larger US based company (VRBO) than having something go wrong and try to recoup your money from a foreign-based entity.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about El Faro

Thanks for clarification.

I'm currently looking at one through booking,com and I've never used them but it's the unit I'm most interested in and I can't find it on another site so might have to chance it.

Thanks again

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about El Faro

I wouldn't use booking.com to book El Faro, especially if there is only one unit available, I just wouldn't trust that you'd end up with a unit once you arrived. YMMV.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
232 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about El Faro

Thanks Leon, I feel concerned about them too.

Another thing I'm running into is that certain units have more than one listing on vrbo so not sure if they are accurate, or one is old etc.

So few 3 bedrooms there that I'm pretty limited. It shouldn't be this hard.

I've narrowed down search to 16 units but had to eliminate many of those due to only 2 beds in the 2 bedrooms or no washer/dryer/internet in unit. Really limits you

Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about El Faro

The washers and dryers are in the laundry room on the first level on the south side of the Coral building. It is easy to get tokens from the front desk. You can do your laundry while you're at the pool, no problem.

You might ask if the sofas pull out or if you can temporarily get twins in the guest bedroom instead of the king/queen. Or just an additional 2 bedroom unit(s) for spillover.

Most units are at playaluxuryrentals.com and rentalsyourway.com.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
678 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about El Faro

We are going back to El Faro next month for our second trip. We loved it so much last year.

Luna Encantada - something to think about - the beach in front is very rocky and when we walked by last year the smell of seaweed was horrible. This could be totally different now, but that was our experience in April of 2016.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
108 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about El Faro

We are staying in Coral 203 right now. 3 brm/2 bath with a cold jacuzzi on the patio. We love the until. The hall noise is very loud in all but the master bedroom though. We came with earplugs so it hasn't been a big deal to us. We booked through Dream Zone Travel, Silvia Antonini is our contact.

One other thing to note, you did not mention when you are traveling. I'm not sure if this is true for other times of the year but we have barely used the pool because it is FREEZING!!!