We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carnaval in merida

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Takoma Park, MD
4 posts
Save Topic
carnaval in merida

Hi, my wife and I and our 3 children will be spending 3 weeks in the yucatan in February. We have the opportunity to be in Merida for 3-4 days during carnaval or going the week before. My question is whether carnaval time will be too busy and crowded to enjoy the city (other than the parades)? Or is carnaval so cool that we should do it nonetheless? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Steve

1. Re: carnaval in merida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 am, January 17, 2007
Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carnaval in merida

The Centro is crowded during Carneval... don't expect anything different. But it is worth seeing.

We've had some luck going to Ki'bok, the restaurant on Calle 60, a hour or so before the parade and asking to have dinner up on the balcony. Its a great place from which to watch the parade. Alternately, Santa Ana Park is a nice place too. You can mingle with the crowd to watch the parade, or fall back into the park when you don't want to be in the crowd. Crowds here are easy and safe, unlike in most major cities.

If you have little kids, they might enjoy the Children's Parade on Thursday. Every kid in Merida seems to be in the parade.

Enjoy!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: carnaval in merida

The restaurant Ki'Bok has been sold and is closed. However, you might want to try the Bella Epoca Restaurant which also has balconies. they are located on Calle 60 between 57 and 59. You will have to make reservations for a balcony space.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: carnaval in merida

We walked by Kibok just a few days ago and it was open and serving food. I notice that it is for sale on a local real estate website, but in the meantime, it appears to be open. And since Carnaval is next week, it's probably still an option as a place to watch the parade.

Of course, there are no guarantees...in life OR in Mexico!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carnaval in merida

I was under the impression that Carnaval was on Paseo Montejo....am I wrong?

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: carnaval in merida

No, you aren't wrong. Carnaval goes down Paseo Montejo to Calle 47, turns right for two blocks and then continues down Calle 60 to the zocalo, turns right for one block, and then continues down Calle 62 to Parque San Juan.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carnaval in merida

Muy Bien!

I imagine that it starts at around dusk?

I am trying to figure out what time to leave Cancun.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carnaval in merida

The Children's Parade (which is today, Thursday) starts at 4 pm. Friday, Saturday and Monday's parades start at 7 pm. Sundays and Tuesdays parades start at noon.

Enjoy!http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9915-Carnival_in_Merida.html

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: carnaval in merida

Thankyou!

We will leave in time to Eat at Teya and see the parade:-)

10. Re: carnaval in merida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 pm, August 25, 2009