We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress Attire In Merida?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Dress Attire In Merida?

Hello,

I will be in Merida in a few weeks and have seen that the weather will be in the 90's. I plan to bring shorts and short-sleeved shirts but wanted to inquire about the dress attire in the evenings for dinner? A friend of mine who used to live in Mexico once told me that people get dressed up to go out at night. I just want to make sure that I pack the appropriate clothing for my trip. All responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,702 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

They do "dress up" a bit in the evening since this is not a tourist resort like Cancun where anything goes. However, dress up is a nice shirt and slacks--nothing more is needed for the best of restaurants or clubs in Merida. It can be hot but its a wonderful city.

Enjoy!

Hallowell, Maine
Level Contributor
45 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

I agree with the previous person. We just spent a few days in Merida and shorts and t-shirt are just fine during the day. But it is hot, hot, hot! Make sure you have a pool in the afternoon. Summer dresses, khakis, etc. are appropriate for the nicer restaurants at night. Try Albertos Cont. Patio. The owner for the past 43 yrs is very nice and the setting is great. We loved Merida!

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

Hello, as a resident of Merida, I can tell you that casual dress in the evening is very appropriate. However, keep in mind that this is a conservative city. So much of the more revealing clothing that is no problem in Cancun or NYC, for that matter, doesn't go over well here. Sleeveless things are fine, but generally at night its more acceptable to wear 3/4 length pants or skirts, not shorts.

And if you are looking for elegant dining, the new Villa Maria on Calle 59 is fast becoming a favorite around here. Lovely food and a hacienda ambiance in the middle of Merida centro.

Enjoy!

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

Hello Goddess

Am coming back in June and will seek out Villa Maria.

I also liked "Excelencia" off Prolungacion Montejo. Do you know it? Is it still what I recall. Long lunches, very crowded and lively, solid seafood selections?

Tanks

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

Hello...

I don't know about Excelencia.....do they have a crab as their logo? I haven't eatern there, sorry!

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

I think they may use the crab.

Supposedly there are 2 locations.

I will Google them again. I'd be disappointed if they folded.

Villa Maria looks quite the place!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,702 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

Goddess, what is the name of the type of shirt that many of the men in Merida wear? I know they are made and sold in many places there--just can't think of the name.

Ontario, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

Hi fellows, just hope I could get a bit of help. I have a dilema, we were in Merida in Jan. and my wife fell in love with a necklace she saw at one store downtown. She didn't buy it. Our anniversay in in May and I would love to surprise her with this necklace as a gift! How could I possible get that necklace without travelling there?! Anyone>?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
42 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

I wanted to reply to my own post now that I'm back from vacation. In the evenings I wore a nice short-sleeved polo shirt and nice shorts and flip flops and I never felt like I was dressed inappropriately at any of the restaurants that I frequented. I did pack some dress pants and shoes but it was too hot in Merida to be wearing them.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress Attire In Merida?

There are a lot of places in Merida, a fairly conservative city, that I'd not frequent in shorts.

Insofar as "hot" goes, remember the Tuaregs all dress in heavy wool robes.

The shirt is a "guayabera."

Insofar as the necklace goes, can you email your hotel and offer someone a few $$ to seek out the store. The store can phone you and you can send them a postal money order (pink).

I would trust everyone involved.