We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Meridia?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Meridia?

We are driving to Meridia, entering Mexico from the U.S. ( El Paso) but my question is, how long will it take to drive from this border to Meridia? We plan on driving 6 - 8 hours a day. I am thinking it would take about 4 days? but maybe not. Should we avoid Mexico city? What is the best route? HELP. Thanks

Chicxulub Puerto
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Meridia?

Hi we drive from Brownsville in TX to Merida driving only during the day light hours. We have not stopped to sight see along the way and we can be to Merida/Progreso in 2 1/2/ days. We travel the gulf coast road. I beleive it is 180 not sure about the #. We have been told to not go thru Mexico City as it is very congested and will take forever to get thru. Any Questions email me at utahcousin@aol.com

Chicxulub Puerto
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Meridia?

When are you planning on this trip? My Hubby and I are driving to Merida leaving the states next week, if your going at that time give me a email at utahcousin@aol.com, maybe we can meet up and caravan down. More fun that way. We are a young retired couple and we will not drive at night. We do not go thru Mexico City as the traffic is something else there. We take the 180 gulf coast road.

Santa Monica...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Meridia?

Hi folks,

I am a homemaker, not too far from offical retire ago. I will be travelling, to Merida by myself for 4 weeks. My first trip to Mexico. I like what I heard and read about the city. This four week stay will test how I fit.

May I ask if you'd still be Merida around Sep 1? Will you be sightseeing near there? I also hope it is doable to get a SIM card there.

Sincerely,

solotraveler

Chicxulub Puerto
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Meridia?

Solo I wil lbe in the area (Chicxulub Puerto/Progreso beach) September 1st, as we live there. If there are any questions please email me at utahcousin@aol.com. It is cheaper to just buy a telcel phone and use the prepay account for the service. many cell phone services will work in Mexico, but the cost is very expensive. Where are you living now?? Email me and I will be more than happy to give more detailed information about the phone service.

lansing MI
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Meridia?

Make sure you go to Progreso on our tirp. It is worth the drive. Go to Buudys and have a drink on the beach. It is fab

Mer Dodson

Merida
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Meridia?

I've driven on that coast road once 5 years ago when I moved here and I'll never do it again. I hear the road is improved but there are so many trucks and it's not worth it from my POV. Better to enter Mexico at McAllen and drive on the super highway if you want to go fast. If you want to go scenic then go through El Paso and stop in Zacatecas but then cut over to San Luis Potosi or San Miguel de Allende. I recently drove from Merida to San Miguel and was surprised to find that there is a new loop from San Miguel that bipasses Queretaro and then you can take a new loop that was not complete on my map but is indeed completed. There was no one on this road and we zipped past Mexico City and that is a trip that normally took us a bout 6 hours in traffic. That road (and I don't have a map here now) came out around the airport and we had about an hour of traffic getting on the road to Puebla. Puebla is a good place to spend the night and eat well. Then I have driven from Puebla to Merida in 17 hours strait. So I'd say its a 2 day drive for you realistically.

That said Mexico City is a fantastic place. If you plan to get in or out before or after rush hour it's worth spending a day there.

7. Re: Getting to Meridia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, August 19, 2009