We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying vanilla pods/beans

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Buying vanilla pods/beans

Any suggestions for places from where to buy vanilla beans of good quality at competitive/reasonable prices? Not looking to buy in bulk, just gifts for several friends. Thanks in advance!

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying vanilla pods/beans

My guess is that the Luis de Galvez market would be a good possibility...but it's just a guess.

Level Contributor
52 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying vanilla pods/beans

Thanks, playaguya, I'll try that then. Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask several locals once I get there.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying vanilla pods/beans

Yes, that would be good...and this coming from someone who wrote "Luis de Galvez" instead of "Lucas de Galvez." Su hermano, maybe? Anyway, chances are high that you will find some at the market if it is to be found. Good luck on your search, and have fun doing it.

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
746 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying vanilla pods/beans

You can try the mercado municipal, Merida's main market. Frankly, I buy fresh vanilla pods cheaper at the Costco here at home.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying vanilla pods/beans

I've not heard of the mercado municipal. The principal market in Merida is the Lucas de Galvez. Perhaps we are talking about the same place? And I have to ask - You didn't say that you found any at the Market. Did you? If not, it may be true that you can get them more cheaply in Muk...but how do you know?

6. Re: Buying vanilla pods/beans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 25, 2015