We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When are cruise ships in port? Goal: avoiding crowds at CI

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
When are cruise ships in port? Goal: avoiding crowds at CI

Hi. We will be staying in a home in Merida for 10 days in April/May. We will then be driving to Puerto Aventuras for another 2 weeks. We want to stop in both Chichen Itza for one night and Valladolid for one or two nights. Trying to find out if Chichen Itza is busier on Sundays than other days. And also would like to know how I can find out when cruise ships are in Progreso. I know many cruise passengers would love to go to CI for the day and I would like to avoid going on those days. Is this even a factor? Or is Chichen Itza crowded everyday. We plan to stay at the Hacienda or another hotel right near the site so we can be there first thing in the morning but it would be great to know if there is a day to visit that might be better than another. And one last question, does anyone know if the evening light show happens every night? Thank you!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: When are cruise ships in port? Goal: avoiding crowds at CI

Cruise ships in Progreso are few and have little impact on Chichen. What does have an impact are tour buses arriving from Cancun and some bringing tourists from the ships in Cozumel. Some days Cozumel has 6 or more ships. Those groups don´t arrive early so it is best to be there early to avoid the mobs and the bothersome vendors.

As mentioned, no light show at Chichen until sometime in April. It has been discontinued for some time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: When are cruise ships in port? Goal: avoiding crowds at CI

CI is the mos popular shore excursion for cruise passengers, so non-cruise days are definitely less crowded - a good place to see which cruise ships are coming on which day is cruisetimetables.com/cruises-to-progreso-mex…

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: When are cruise ships in port? Goal: avoiding crowds at CI

Thank you all. I have found that there are no cruise ships in either Cozumel or Progresso on Tuesday, May 6, so we are going then as opposed to Sunday or Monday. I know there will still be crowds but to know we won't have 10 bus loads showing up at 11:00 is a good thing! We plan to also enter the site on Monday afternoon so I can take photographs in the afternoon light before they close. Do you know what time the main group of cruise ship tours start to leave in the afternoon? We will be staying near the grounds so we plan to enjoy the afternoon and go back at 8:00am on Tuesday.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: When are cruise ships in port? Goal: avoiding crowds at CI

Oops. I didn't check well enough. Looks like there are quite a few ships in port on Tuesday the 6th. May not be able to avoid being there on a cruise day. Guess as long as we get there at 3:00 in the afternoon one day and go back at 8:00am the next we will be ok.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,480 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: When are cruise ships in port? Goal: avoiding crowds at CI

Really, I wouldn´t worry much about the crowds. I was there yesterday on Sunday which is a free day for Mexican Nationals and it is a holiday weekend and really nothing was crowded. The only real nuisance ,, as always, were the vendors everywhere you go.

16. Re: When are cruise ships in port? Goal: avoiding crowds at CI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 05, 2015