We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival 2014

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival 2014

At present the city authorities are considering re-locating the 2014 Carnival to a site outside of the city limits. The site, in Xmatkuil, is owned by the state government and being offered free of charge. The city is conducting a telephone survey to test public opinion.

The tourist sector is strongly behind getting Carnival out of the city. Most of those who are loyal attendees of the event want it to stay, whilst the vast majority of those who rarely go (like myself) would like it to be moved.

Carnival is only 4 months away, so time looks tight. As more emerges I will post updates as I know many visitors think twice about coming here during the celebrations.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,537 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival 2014

I vote for moving it. Of course, my vote doesn´t count and I rarely go but would like to get it out of the center of Merida.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Phildalephia, PA
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival 2014

If you rarely go - then why do you want it to be moved? I think it is a great event for the Local community. Villagers come from all around to see the parades and the participants faces are filled with joy as they march. The stands are filled with families. I don't think it would be as easy for all the locals to get out to the fairgrounds, plus then its not a parade - its' a show in a field?? how weird is that. If done right, it can also be a big asset for tourism. The parades should stay - the after parades bands and drinking and partying is what should be clamped down on.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,537 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival 2014

¨The parades should stay - the after parades bands and drinking and partying is what should be clamped down on.¨

I agree. If it were just a parade, I would likely go. The problem is, they won´t clamp down on the drinking and partying since the breweries supply so much of the revenue. And I do enjoy a beer or two but don´t really enjoy underage drunks on the streets. I have friends who are merchants on the Paseo and they would like to see it go. They have to close the business and put up a fence to protect the business.

Its a tough call for the local politicians, I suppose.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival 2014

I feel sure fewer people would go if it moved, but I'm equally convinced that it is now too big (and too unruly) an event to have in the heart of the city. It's a paradox!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,537 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival 2014

Well said, londoner. A victim of its own success. As said, it has become unruly.

NO. CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival 2014

We will be in merida for a few days during carnival. Wonder if there is any update yet about it moving? I hope its not going to be like another New Orleans. I have been looking forward to the charming part of the city, hope that still exists during carnival.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,537 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival 2014

It has been moved . In my opinion, it was doing much the same as what has happened to New Orleans. You can read more here:

theyucatantimes.com/2013/…

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
New Orleans
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival 2014

If there is no 'drinking and partying' what's the point? I live in New Orleans and I've been to Carnival in Merida, so I think I know what I'm talking about. Carnival is meant to be enjoyed, not just watched from the sidelines. If some people are unruly, getting in fights, etc, then of course they should be dealt with by the police, but you don't do that by moving Carnival to a park miles outside the city. If anyone in New Orleans dared suggest that, there would be outrage!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,537 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carnival 2014

What is good for New Orleans is not necessarily good for Merida. I have also enjoyed the carnival in New Orleans. From the arrangements I have seen for the Merida Carnival, it appears they will cater to all, no matter what the personal taste. I don´t think the problem has ever been an unruly crowd or fights in Merida. They have a much bigger police presence than I have ever seen in the USA.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carnival 2014

Does anyone have current information how to find and get on the Merida city buses which supposedly take passengers to the 2014 carnaval at the fairgrounds?

Thnaks!

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico