We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida thus far ...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Topic
Merida thus far ...

We are thoroughly enjoying our brief stay on Merida, even though we just got caught in this afternoon's downpour and are now hiding out at our hotel like drowned rats, waiting for it to clear up. We were on our way to the Paseo but got only as far as Sta. Ana.

The zocalo is outstanding. Our hotel (Luz en Yucatan) is a gem. We had sopes and empanadas from Sabrina last night at Noche Mexicana (a wonderful evening that set us back all of $10 US) and also got to stop to say hi this afternoon at Sta. Lucia. Took a walk through the mercado this morning--it would take several days to see it all.

With the rain, we're considering an early dinner at La Chaya Maya because it's so close. If it clears we can make it to the Paseo. Tomorrow is Uxmal, Loltun and, if time allows, Hacienda Ochil. Final dinner at Casa de Frida before heading to Isla Mujeres on Tuesday.

For a large city, we are finding Merida to be very approachable. We are enjoying walking around the historic district and the people are all as friendly as we have come to expect throughout the Yucatan. We are very happy to have finally made it to this wonderful city.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,399 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida thus far ...

Nice to hear you are enjoying. I am also in Merida and waiting out the rain. Good you enjoyed the food with Sabrina. I intended to make it to Santa Ana this morning but I didn´t make it Hope you will make it to the Paseo. The rain will likely stop soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida thus far ...

Enjoyed La Chaya Maya. Michele's Poc chuc was outstanding and my pipian de Pavo was very good.

On the way to dinner, we ran into Sabrina again as she was packing up her stuff. We just met last night but we stood in the rain bidding each other farewell, with many embraces. What a sweetheart!

Robert, we'll be back from Uxmal sometime between 5 and 6, with plans to eat at Casa de Frida. If you'd like to join us or meet for a drink that would be great.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,399 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida thus far ...

You have it right about Sabrina. A really great lady and while she meets many people, she will always remember you.

Thanks for the invitation, DM. I probably can´t join you for dinner but would be great to meet for a drink. Just let me know where and when. I am about 15 minutes north of the center. Enjoy your day tomorrow.

Edited: 7:44 pm, September 01, 2013
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merida thus far ...

I hope you enjoy Casa de Frida - we had a great meal there. And the pet rabbit is so funny.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Merida thus far ...

OK, now we understand that it apparently rains every day here, as we once again got soaked in a thunderstorm, this time at Uxmal. We're sorting through our things looking for something dry to wear to dinner and waiting to get our second wind after a very long day, which we did enjoy despite the weather.

We visit the Yucatan this week every year. Somehow in all our years of travel we had one or two rainy days total. We are paying for it now. Don't you hate it when your karma bill comes due?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,399 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Merida thus far ...

Hope you dried out OK and had a good dinner. I waited to hear from you about meeting for a drink, but nothing.

It rarely rains this much in Merida. Of course, this is widespread all over the Yucatan Peninsula.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Merida thus far ...

We got back really late because of the weather and we're still waiting for a brief respite from the rain before venturing out. We'd better go soon; this pillow is beginning to look tasty.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,399 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Merida thus far ...

I was sure it was a long day but hope you enjoyed even with the rain. Enjoy your dinner and have a safe trip tomorrow. Remember, good coffee in the ADO Came terminal if you need a jolt in the morning. Also good pastries to go with the coffee.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Merida thus far ...

We just returned from dinner at Casa de Frida (which we enjoyed) and despite uncooperative weather we loved our brief stay in Merida and accomplished everything we set out to do except hooking up with RobertSDF, which was something I neglected to arrange in greater detail before leaving home, so my bad. Next visit for sure or maybe well see each other on Coz some day (I suspect we'll be there next year).

Merida is a fascinating place whose friendly citizens make it feel like a small town rather than a city of more than a million residents. Walking home in the permadrizzle tonight Michele and I agreed that Merida was all that we had hoped for. We walked into the plaza on Calle 61 from the west and I'm sure I would never grow tired of the sight of the Catredal lit up at night. It is so beautiful.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your pretrip advice. When I get home and have a chance to digest our whirlwind visit I'll write a formal Trip Report. We came, we saw, we loved.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Merida thus far ...

I still owe you a full Trip Report, but here's a link to my photobucket album on Merida (sorry, but I have had only 1 day off since getting home). There are a few videos that don't play if you select the slideshow option, but they will if you merely select the first picture and then navigate with the left/right arrows. Sorry for the sideways video at Loltun ... live and learn.

…photobucket.com/user/…Merida2013

And this is for RobertSDF:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Merida236.jpg