We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gruta de Calcehtok by bus?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Quebec City, Canada
4 posts
Save Topic
Gruta de Calcehtok by bus?

Hi. I'm wondering if there is anyway bus that could bring me and my boyfriend to la Gruta de Calcehtok by bus, from Merida? Anyone already did the same?

Thank you.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gruta de Calcehtok by bus?

I haven't been there, but I'm used to trying to get to off the beaten path places using public transportation. They are near Maxcanu, which is south on 180. You can see Maxcanu on this map, the caves are noted due east of there, south of Calcehtok:

http://goo.gl/maps/BK66d

I can't find a bus that goes to Maxcanu, but there are second class buses going to Calkini, just south of there. Those buses leave from the second class bus station, TAME. If no one else has a better suggestion, I would take the second class bus toward Calkini, and tell the driver to let you off at Maxcanu. He would either let you off on the highway and you'd have to walk into town, or the bus will detour there. After getting off the bus, look for a taxi or pedi-cab and have someone take you to the caves. If you are left off on the highway, you could probably just walk it, but it may be a couple miles. The way back, I'd probably just get to 180, stand on the side of the road and flag down whatever colectivo or bus passes first, going north.

Quebec City, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gruta de Calcehtok by bus?

Thank you for your reply! I will wait to see if anyone has an other suggestion...

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gruta de Calcehtok by bus?

It's not that far from Maxcanu to the site of Oxkintok, but then it's another hike to Calcehtok. The tiny road is extremely forlorn and lonely (the one that passes in front of Oxkintok) and so perhaps a cab or trici-taxi from Maxcanu might be the ticket.

The "good" highway on that map, from Maxcanu to Muna, should have fairly regular colectivo service as both are fairly busy towns and getting one of these vans to stop at the Calcehtok town junction and then hiking up the hill to the caves would be easier.

Edited: 9:27 am, June 22, 2013
4. Re: Gruta de Calcehtok by bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 24, 2014