We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips from Akumul to Merida

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Trips from Akumul to Merida

We were planning to stay a couple of weeks in a hotel in the Tulum/Akumul area. Does anyone know if there any companies who do organized trips, (1 or 2 days), from there to Merida?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

I don't know of any companies that do this, but it would be really easy to do on your own. You could rent a car and drive yourself if you want to also stop along the way for sightseeing. Or you could take the ADO bus to Merida and back. The ADO bus is quite inexpensive and it is a first-class bus, so comfortable with AC, etc. Merida is a great city and very easy to visit. It is quite walkable and taxis are plentiful and cheap.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

You'll need to get to Tulum if you want to take advantage of the excellent bus system, but that can be done. Also I will suggest at least an overnight in Merida rather than as a day trip - Getting there and back would take up a huge chunk of your day. And try to make that day a Sunday - It's great!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

Yeah, do it under your own steam. Merida has plenty of interesting things to see and people are very helpful if you get lost or need assistance. Not everyone speaks English, by any means, but you needn't worry about being adrift once you're here.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

Thank you everyone. I could not see that there were any organized trips but really wanted to visit. How easy is it to hire a car and navigate the route? My husband is not keen on driving in another country so the simplar the better!! How long does the journey take by bus as this could be the better option for us. I think we would probably stay overnight to make the most of our time there. Why a Sunday Playaguya?

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

The biggest challenge to driving for you will be driving on the opposite side of the road... but it will be a lot easier for you to do in Mexico than it was for me in England :-) I only say that because if you go on the toll road (the carretera), its basically one straight long two-lane highway for three and a half hours. Navigating Merida itself might be a little more challenging. But if you follow the main road from Cancun straight into the heart of Merida, it becomes Calle 65 and you drive right to the centro. I would just park and then walk around. I believe the Hotel Dolores Alba is ON Calle 65 and has parking so you could stay there and use it as your base. The nice thing about having your own car is that on the way there or back, you could stop in at Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Izamal or a few other places that you would probably enjoy seeing. On my website, there is a pretty comprehensive article on Driving in the Yucatan which will tell you all you need to know about road rules and that sort of thing.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

Renting a car and driving is pretty easy - there are some things to be aware of though - you can check the FAQs on the right of the screen for info about that if you decide to rent a car. However, since it sounds like you are just planning to go to Merida and not make sightseeing stops along the way, the ADO bus is probably a better choice for you - cheap, comfy, easy - and you absolutely don't need a car in Merida. Plus with only 1 overnight planned in Merida, you will want to get there quickly to have time to see the city anyway.

Here is a web site for checking ADO bus routes, departure times, costs, etc:

ticketbus.com.mx/wtbkd/I18n.tb…

Costs are shown in pesos - it is confusing since the $ is used for both pesos and USD, so at first glance, the bus looks really expensive, but it isn't. From Tulum to Merida CAME (main bus station), the ride takes between 3.5 and 4 hours and costs 290 pesos per person, so just under 15 pounds. Once you get to Merida, just take a taxi to your hotel and you are all set.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,384 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

Good advice from n_m. I would add one thing about transportation in Merida. Unlike the Riviera Maya area, Merida has many taxi companies and both metered and non metered taxis. You almost always are better off using a metered taxi. Many of the white taxis are non metered and more expensive. Look for ¨TaxiMetro¨on the top of the taxi for a metered taxi.

I also recommend the ADO bus. If arriving by ADO , you will see non metered taxis at a stand inside the terminal. I walk to the street in front and can always quickly flag a metered taxi

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,474 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

Yes, good advice about the metered vs non-metered taxis. We learned this our first day in Merida. We asked our hotel to call us a taxi and a non-metered (zone) taxi came - the charge was 50 pesos from the hotel to the city center, if I remember correctly. Later we hailed a taxi to go back to the hotel and got a metered taxi - the fare was only around 25 pesos - so basically half price. We asked the driver of the metered taxi about the difference and he told us about metered versus zone pricing. We never called a taxi again, just hailed a metered one on the street - never had to wait more than a few minutes for a metered taxi to come along.

The difference in price only comes out to be a few dollars, so if you get a zone taxi rather than a metered one, it isn't going to break the bank, but if you take more than a couple rides in a taxi, the difference starts to add up.

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

First, Sundays are special in Merida. The area around the main plaza is made into a pedestrian zone, and the park and surounding streets are filled with arts, crafts, and jewelry markets and there are lots of food stalls in the street. There is more activity at night, and a lively dance session during the afternoon in the Parque Santa Lucia. Sunday is sort of city-party day, and it's all a lot of fun.

I also want to emphasize how fine a method of transport the ADO bus system is. They are efficient and comfortable. For 2 people getting from Tulum to Merida, it will be very easy and inexpensive. If your husband decides he wants to try driving, fine - I am sure he will have no problems. But the bus is an excellent means of transport, so he shouldn't think it is a car or nothing. As others have said, a stop in Chichen Itza or Valladolid might b something you would like to do, but the bus also stops at both of those places, as they are on the Merida-Tulum route.

Good luck with your decision, and have fun planning.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trips from Akumul to Merida

Hello everyone, Thank you so much for all your advice. Sounds like the ADO buses will probably be our best bet as we have already visited Chichen Itza on our previous trip to Mexico a couple of years ago so will probably just go straight to Merida without stopping. Sunday does sound like alot fo fun - I will plan the trip for Sunday and try to leave Akumul as early as possible to give us plenty of time in Merida to enjoy the atmosphere and have a good browse at the stalls- Thank you for the tip.

Thanks again everyone for all your tips, links and suggestion. I will have fun planning!!

Sally