We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bacalar

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
117 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Bacalar

Impressions of Bacalar and distance from Merida

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,088 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bacalar

Its about 340 KM from Merida. It has long been one of my favorite spots. Some of the most beautiful water I have ever seen and one of favorite places to swim. I often go to a house on the lagoon owned by Chetumal friends who have owned there for many years. They tell me property values are going up fast because state government is spending much to promote it with tourists. So go and enjoy it while you can before it goes the way of much in the area and is commercialized and overrun with tourists.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
117 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bacalar

What is the weather like compared to Merida

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,088 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bacalar

Usually somewhat cooler. You can check the Chetumal weather for an idea but Bacalar has a bit more breeze so often feels cooler. . I looked now and it is running 5 or a bit more cooler in the day. Thats 5 degrees f .

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bacalar

There are some decent houses to rent on vrbo.com in Bacalar as well:

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…bacalar

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
117 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bacalar

Thanks Bill. Best route down to Bacalar from Merida

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bacalar

You're asking questions as if you were asking Google. And that's what can answer your last one.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Level Contributor
117 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bacalar

It's more than that. Have seen route thru Campeche, one through Valladolid, and one straight down from Merida. If you are going to drive that far might as well go on route that is also scenic with maybe some stops on the way as long as its within an hour or so difference.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bacalar

Just go from Merida. The road is narrow at times but there are some different towns along the way and you will actually encounter something resembling a hill. Interesting vegetation as well. I enjoy the drive, but then you know me.

Edited: 7:14 pm, May 07, 2013
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,088 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bacalar

Very true , Bill. It is really a highlight of the trip to see the hill. I enjoy the drive as well.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bacalar

RobertSDF: you've been on the peninsula so long that you get excited by "something resembling a hill?" ;)

I'm teasing...I do also know that you love Chiapas and often get your fill of real mountains!