We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

Below is the itinerary for our upcoming stay in Merida - any comments and recommendations are welcome. We have 4 days in March, just my husband and me - late 30s/early 40s. We don't want to pack too much into the itinerary, esspecially in the afternoons when it could be rather hot. Average highs look to be about 90°F in March. So for the most part, we are looking to plan things in the mornings and then leave afternoons free to sightsee or lay low as the weather dictates. We also want to make sure that there is time for hanging out in cafes watching the scene - these are some of our most memorable times on trips - times when we stop and watch everybody else be busy :)

Day 1 (Thu): 9:30 am walking tour of the city center, Merida Cathedral, Governors Palace, lunch in the center, then the afternoon free. Maybe check out a museum (Gran Museo del Mundo Maya, Museo de Arte Popular, Anthropology and History Museum), find a cafe with a shady courtyard and have a couple beers, etc. Evening perhaps check out the Troval Yucateca in parque Santa Lucia

Day 2 (Fri): Day trip to Celestun - still debating about going as part of a tour or on our own. It seems rather easy and cheap to get to Celestun by bus, but the rate structure for boat tours of the area seems very complicated based on the info in the Lonely Planet guidebook.

Day 3 (Sat): morning Taste of Yucatan tour, afternoon free. Maybe do some shopping in the afternoon - recommendations? This is also our wedding anniversary, so looking for something fun and special for the evening - nice restaurant, good live music and/or dance performance, etc.

Day 4 (Sun): Spend the day enjoying the market and festivities of Merida - I have heard that Sundays are THE day to be in town.

So what do you guys think? Reasonable itinerary? After this we will be heading south to the Ruta Puuc for 3 nights, then onto Chichen Itza and finally Tulum before heading home.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

True Rick, and there are so many interesting stops on that route.

Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

I agree with Rick Howe, uxmal is a must see. I would put that at the top of my list.

Edited: 11:48 am, January 06, 2013
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

After Merida, we are going to rent a car and explore the Ruta Puuc. We have 3 nights in Santa Elena.

Darlington, Maryland
Level Contributor
222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

Three days on the Ruta Puuc - perfect! We enjoy staying at the Villas Archeologicas at Uxmal and Chichen. Clean and familiar (kinda like coming home). Inexpensive, good food and nice pools. And virtually identical from location to location. I wrote a review on TA

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

We debated how much time to spend in the Ruta Puuc area, but I think this will be good. Our plan is to check out a hanequin hacienda on our way down, see Santa Elena, then over the next 2 days see Uxmal, various other ruins in the area and Lotun caves, maybe a cenote or two. We are staying at the Pickled Onion in Santa Elena - seems like a neat place and the price is right.

Darlington, Maryland
Level Contributor
222 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

Well, I can tell you where the name "Loltun" came from in the caves. There are two stalactites hanging down in the center of the cave. If you have a guide, he will certainly smack each of them in order for your amusement - and the sounds they makes kinda sounds like "Lol . . . Tune!"

17. Re: Merida itinerary - plus rec for anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 08, 2014