We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health Insurance in Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Health Insurance in Mexico

We are looking at retiring in Merida but a major stumbling block is finding health insurance that covers us both in Mexico as well as the US.

Fortunately we are both in good health but do want to be protected should a major health incident arise.

What do the ex pats use? We know Star Medica is highly recommended. Thank you in advance for your replies.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
699 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health Insurance in Mexico

You should check web sites which are used by ex-pats. Take a look at Yolisto. http://www.yolisto.com/ This site usually has an extensive discussion of health care and insurance.

Enjoy

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health Insurance in Mexico

Do check that site and there a a lot of people who sign up with the Mexican public health service IMSS - Instituto Mexicano de Seguro Social. There's a good video... let me see if I can find it and post it---it was done by some local ex-pats.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health Insurance in Mexico

I have an insurance agent who sells insurance that works everywhere around the world. Its especially for expats, but he is located in the US. His name is John McGee and his company is expatglobalmedical.com. Tell him Yucatan Living or Ellen sent you.

There are also insurance companies in Merida that might be able to sell you something similar. You can check the affiliate list on the Yucatan Expatriate Services website (yucatanyes.com)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health Insurance in Mexico

Thank you all for your replies

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
187 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health Insurance in Mexico

there are several options. you can actually enroll in IMSS as previously mentioned. but you have to be a resident in Mexico. that is you must have an FM2 or FM3 (residence permit). the cost is around 3000 pesos A YEAR. it is a bit of a process to get enrolled but any lawyer could help you for a 200 dollars fee.

when it comes to private insurances there are several. STAR MEDICA is NOT an insurance but a very good hospital used by some insurance companies. my partner is OVER 60, if that is the case there are very few insurance companies but METLIFE is one of them. he has an insurance there, 10 000 pesos deductible and pays around 2000 us dollars a year. but it works fine, he had surgery at star medica , (hip replacement) and it all costed him only the 10 000 pesos deductible. (800 us dollars). if you are below 60 it is obviously cheaper and there are many choices. i have allianz which i use just for 'catastrophical events', since as a scandinavian citizen i can always go back to my country and get healthy for no cost.

i DO NOT know whether some of the insurances cover you both in mexico and in the usa. write to me privatlely if you want more info.

6. Re: Health Insurance in Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 15, 2013