We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

Hi, I will be in Yucatan for a few days and will have a chance to visit a cave there. Which one should I visit? Lol-tun cave o Balankanche caves? Why and what are the differences? I will have a rental car so there will be no issues on driving?

Thanks a lot in advance

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

Loltun is a giant cavern with large chambers and some Maya carvings on the walls. Based on sheer size it is impressive.

Balancanche is a much smaller cave, but has something Loltun does not -- hundreds of Maya artifacts, in situ, much as they were found when they were discovered in 1959.

If you are big on caves and not so much on the ancient Maya, Loltun is the place to go; if you are big on Maya archaeology, Balancanche. My suggestion is to visit both of them.

Have a great trip!

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

I agree... but I love Loltun and the area around there is fun to visit too...

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

If you like Poc Chuc, then you can eat at Mani if you visit Lol Tun.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

And if you are in the neck of the woods going to Lol-tun, i.e., the Puuc route area, check out the new-ish cocoa/chocolate museum.

ecomuseodelcacao.com

yucatantoday.com/en/topics/ecomuseo-del-cacao

I've heard some really good comments on this museum and will be taking family this summer.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

Thanks

Edited: 11:09 pm, June 20, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

Thanks, I'm considering it too. The museum looks so nice. We plan to drive from Piste to Uxmal via Sotuta and Ticul. Probably visit the museum.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

Do not waste your money or time eating at Los Almendros in Ticul. This once-famous restaurant is a wispy shadow of its former self.

8. Re: Which cave to visit? Lol-tun or Balankanche?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 23, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Merida