We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida Cemeteries

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Merida Cemeteries

We will be spending four nights in Merida this April. I have been to the Yucatan twice before, but never to Merida (except the outskirts on the way to San Bruno). I enjoy photographing cemeteries and wanted to be sure to visit some in the Merida area. I've reviewed this Yucatan Living article, yucatanliving.com/daily-life/… and Google Maps.

Are the only two Merida cemeteries the one on Calle 81 near Carretera Federal 261 and Cementerio Xoclan on Calle 65A?

Are there other cemeteries that are worth a stop, either in Merida proper or nearby? We will be spending one day at Uxmal, so we'll be headed that direction anyway . . . .

FYI: I'm not a ghoul (at least last time I checked), I just find cemeteries fascinating places that provide a lot of information about people and their culture.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida Cemeteries

Someone wrote about the cemetery at Hoctun, near Izamal, in another post on this forum.

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
548 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida Cemeteries

That was me. Hoctun is small but extremely colorful. It's right on the outskirts of Izamal. We thought it was worth the stop.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida Cemeteries

Thanks for your posts. I don't think we'll make it over to Izamal this time, but if we do, we'll make sure to check out Hoctun.

Does anyone know the answer to my other question: Are the only two Merida cemeteries the one on Calle 81 near Carretera Federal 261 and Cementerio Xoclan on Calle 65A?

Thanks.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Merida Cemeteries

You could have a look around http://www.merida.gob.mx/municipio/index.htm

I know there is one in Chuburná, a in north west Merida. Not so long ago it was a village, hence it had its own cementary. Now it's well within the city limits.

5. Re: Merida Cemeteries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, April 15, 2013