We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Topic
ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

is there any ferry that travels from anywhere inside of the us to yucatan? i woul like to go with my truck and save the road trip tru mexico that now in this days is very dangerous> thanks

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

No. There was, and there is currently talk of another. But for now, no. Don't hold your breath, either.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

There is/was mention of Tampa-Merida ferry, but I remain sceptical, too.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

We are all skeptical of the ferry. How many times have we heard it is going to happen and then nothing? But, it sure would be nice!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

how does a ferry get to merida? There are still alot of people that drive from N America to various points in CA. There are even people that will drive for you. You just have to know the ins and outs of it.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,733 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

I am sure we all know we can get people to drive for us or drive ourselves. But we are talking a ferry from Florida---it very easy for a ferry to get to nearby Progresso for Merida. It would be a nice option for many in the USA.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

thank you very much for that answer I could not say it bette. why drive if we can jump on a ferry a save all them horrible things that happens to tourist people in the central-north part of mexico. all i want to see is in yucatan.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

there are transit companies that transit northern mexico regularly so the risks are known to them and they know how to handle them. The main reason to drive through northern mexico instead of taking the ferry is that the ferry doesnt exist. Another reason is that driving to Florida to catch a ferry from the western US would be pretty onerous. Many expats move to Mexico each day and drive their belongings through N. Mexico. no need for paranoia guys, just use prudence.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

Call me Mr Trepidation, but I sure as heck would not drive through northern Mexico right now, thank you very much. Of course, if there were people who did it for you, I would consider hiring them. And like my Seattle colleague points out, there IS not ferry so that is not even an option.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

Hello, Mr. Trepidation. Driving through Northern Mexico (which we did about three months ago...) was the same as it always was. I wouldn't dilly dally in a border town, but I NEVER wanted to do that. Travel during the day and take normal precautions and you should be fine... as someone said, there are a lot of travelers doing it every day.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
130 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ferry from usa to yucatan mexico

We drove in a truck and trailer last October and then drove them out late May, early June. No trouble at all. We will be driving in again either next month or early September. We also do not stop and sightsee at the border towns (LOL) but drove in very early and then when we left, we stayed in Monterrey and hit the border again, very early. Federales and the army were everywhere.

Get answers to your questions about Merida