We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida at Carnival

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Alaska
2 posts
Save Topic
Merida at Carnival

Can anyone tell me what Merida is like at Carnival (Mardi Gras)? Is it wild, crazy and dangerous, or just some parades and tame cultural events?

humu

Holyoke, MA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida at Carnival

Hi

I went to Merida for Carnavale last year. Stayed with the family in North Merida that hosted me during my weeks at the Institute of Modern Spanish.

No - Carnavale is not "wild and crazy - thefocus is on the parades that are absolutely beautiful BUT - getting a place to watch can be tough, and the crowd is so big and so dense that it is almost frightening. Any kind of incident could set off a mob crush that could kill. fortunately that didn't happen, but I was really nervous standing in a packed-sardine crowd. Saw only one drunk being hauled off by the cops. I'm glad I went to see it, but I'll take "Sunday in Merida" over Carnavale.

leonia New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida at Carnival

Carnivale is not crazy or bone crushing - though it can be very crowded. You can reserve seats, eat at a restaurant with a view, and this year for the first time guests at hotels and bed and breakfasts are invited to participate by the department of toursim. your hotel should have the info. I know Cascadas de Merida has the info - they're really helpful.

If not feel free to contact me for an explanation. Enjoy!

ohio
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida at Carnival

Margiemom,

How was the school, in Merida. I am thinking about going for one week in June. I am a beginner, took Spanish for 4 years in high school, but I love the language and want to brush up a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,