We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe travel in Merida and Yucatan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
130 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Safe travel in Merida and Yucatan

How safe is travel in Merida and the Yucatan generally? (I have read that all big cities in Mexico have problems and even tourist areas are becoming sketchy.) We are flying into Cancun and thinking of spending a few days in Merida and then going to Progresso or one of the other fishing villages, as well as visiting some of the ruins. Is it advisable to rent a car or is public transportation fine? If renting a car, is it ok to take small back roads as opposed to toll roads? Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
130 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safe travel in Merida and Yucatan

Hey Everyone...Thank you so much for your replies. I'm glad, and not surprised, to hear that there's no problem traveling through the Yucatan. ( For those who asked, I read a number - albeit a minority - of comments re safety issues on forums of other travel sites.) I'm looking forward to a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Washougal...
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Safe travel in Merida and Yucatan

We are going to Merida in 2 weeks. All of our research has shown that Merida and the surrounding areas are very safe. Merida is also considered one of the safest cities in Mexico. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
863 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Safe travel in Merida and Yucatan

Not only is the area safe, but the people are outgoing in trying to help. IF you are driving and breakdown, someone will surely stop to help.

Just don't get too lax--- don't leave cameras, computers, bags, etc. sitting around. Keep an eye on your things. While safe and charming, it is the real world, too.

dallas
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safe travel in Merida and Yucatan

I am always surprized at how mad people respond to questions like this. While it might be safe for most people, there is crime in Mexico. Also the govt and police is very corrupt, thats NO secret. I am mexican, I should know. People have the right to ask, no rudeness necessary.

Its always best to not drive in Mexico and also to not expose yourself to danger as its everywhere, fyi in Mexico also.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Safe travel in Merida and Yucatan

Generally people LIVING in Mexico tend to get a little defensive when someone comes and makes a generalized statement about safety in Mexico (which was NOT the case with the OP in this thread, but I have seen it elsewhere).

The problem is 1) the media in Canada and the united states that likes to play up anything 'newsworthy'; combined with 2) people's lack of knowledge of Mexico, it's size and geography. Someone gets killed in Tijuana and lo and behold, Holbox is the murder capital of the world.

Mexico is experiencing a rash of violent crime at the present time, due in large part to folks in the u.s. wanting to escape reality by drugging themselves. This violence, however, has not overtaken the Yucatan which is probably the most peaceful, safe state in the country - by far.

It is what it is. Keep the questions coming, I say!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Holbox Island
Holbox Island
Quintana Roo, Mexico
16. Re: Safe travel in Merida and Yucatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, November 04, 2010