We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five day itinerary suggestions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
9 posts
Save Topic
Five day itinerary suggestions

Planning to take family trip (2 adults and 2 teenagers) to Merida during spring break. Besides spending two full days in Merida, one day going to Uxmal, one day in Celustin (can we go swimming here? is this a worthwhile trip?), ...what can we do on the fifth day? And we don't plan on driving (scared to!!!) Is it better to contract with a taxi driver or to take buses...or to go through a tour agency? Any suggestions. We really don't want to drive ourselves, but we want some flexibility on a budget! This will be happening in March...but planning now!!

If someone has a different itinerary suggestions...please respond!

St. Louis, Missouri
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Five day itinerary suggestions

I have been to Merida and surrounding areas on two backpacking trips previously and will be going again this Christmas.

Advice - Do rent a car. If the teenagers are small, rent a VW Beetle - cheap but fun. Seeing Uxmal and the Ruta Puuc is too difficult otherwise and you will not want to miss it.

A good itinerary: 2 days in Merida shopping, eating, seeing museums, perhaps attend a half day cooking school.

Uxmal - 1 full day

Spend that night in a hotel at Uxmal, or better yet, a local hotel in any of the tiny villages along the Ruta Puuc. I had a great experience in Hopelchen, but would never have considered stopping if I hadn't run out of daylight. The tiny hotel in the square did not have hot water, but it was clean. I found (incredible!) food in a cantina and interacted with the locals. People were very friendly.

The next day: Drive to several small Maya sites along the Ruta Puuc - all different little jewels (Kabah, Sayil, Labna) - on the way back to Merida.

Alternatively, an overnight stay at Hacienda Yaxcopoil would be nice.

I've never been to Celestun so can't advise on that.

2. Re: Five day itinerary suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:03 pm, November 03, 2005
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
915 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five day itinerary suggestions

Try to be in Merida on a Sunday. The streets around the center of town are closed to traffic and there are bands and vendors. It has a street party atmoshpere. My teens enjoyed it.

Celestun has a beautiful, swimming beach! There are also boat tours to see the flamingos etc. I would spend the night there as it's a couple of hours from Merida. As a side note, we could not find an ATM there, bring cash. Boat tours only take cash.

Don't forget to check out the caves and cenotes in the area!

You should be able to get around by buses OK but schedules will dictate the flow of your vacation. There are schedules online to help you plan. Buses are very budget friendly.

I found driving in Mexico less stressful than driving in the states. (This doesn't include Cancun!). Very little traffic except for right in town. The road signs are much better than you would expect. Great little towns to stop and visit.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
53 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five day itinerary suggestions

I would not worry about renting a car.

I think dealing with bus schedules could be limiting. End up spending a lot of time working around unknown schedules.

Outside of Merida driving is not bad.

However, when you drive through small villages, the roads are not marked. So, its easy to get lost in them. The good thing is that they are small villages. So, you can't get too lost before you run out of village. Part of the adventure. But, sounds like you might not want adventure.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
449 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Five day itinerary suggestions

I would agree with renting a car as the driving is no worse than any large city in America, and once you're out of the city, traffic is fairly light. The road to Celustin is a bit rought, but the area is incredible. Get up early and get going. I also agree with the post that said Sunday is a must for Merida; we spent one there and had to pull ourselves away after dark as there was so much to do.