We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

merida car rental

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wichita
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
merida car rental

We will be renting a car for a week in Feb 2006 to drive to Chicxulub. Any suggestions on who to rent from? The prices seem really high through the regular internet options.

Thanks

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: merida car rental

I suggest Avis.

The 2006 package rates will be released next month.

I'll let you know in this page.

Regards.

Level Contributor
89 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: merida car rental

I also have always had good luck with Avis. Good rates and dependable cars.

merida
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: merida car rental

make sure you reserve a car online. Walk-in prices are very high in Merida. I suggest budget. Bring your print-out with you to the office. They will try to overcharge you for insurance.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: merida car rental

Are you sure you want to rent a car in Mexico?? There are very reliable buses and combis that run constantly from Merida to Progreso to Chicxulub. Here is what can happen if you have an accident in Mexico:

If you are involved in an accident in Mexico, you will be taken into custody until it can be determined who is liable and whether that party has the ability to pay the penalty. Many Mexicans do not carry car insurance so they really do not want to admit guilt. If you do not have Mexican automobile insurance, you may be prevented from leaving the country even if you are seriously injured and require life-saving medical care. When involved in an accident in Mexico, it is almost certain that you will spend some time in jail until all parties involved are satisfied that responsibility has been assigned and financial satisfaction received. If a driver is found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs, motor vehicle insurance is considered invalid in Mexico. If injuries or damages result in any accident that occurs in Mexico, drivers may face criminal charges. and do not forget that all these conversations will be conducted in Spanish and if you need an interpreter, it will take even more of your valuable vacation time and money! I am using taxis, buses and combis.

wichita
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: merida car rental

thank you for all your responses. Very helpful

Tramuntana I would appreciate the rates!!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
53 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: merida car rental

Car rental rates are higher in Mexico.

You just have to shop around. They can vary greatly from one agency to another.

A basic four speed "sample" car like a chevy metro or such can be reasonable. But, once you start to move up to a real car, the rates see to go up exponentially.

I do recommend going with the smallest car you feel comfortable with. Streets are narrow and a full size car is not fun to maneuver around.

I see someone recommended taking the bus to Chicxulub. Chicxulub is pretty quiet. And, you're likely to want to be able to get around some. So, I don't recommend that idea, especially, if its your first visit to the area.

wichita
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: merida car rental

thanks Ralph. I have found through my research you are correct on the prices of "real cars". There are two couples traveling so between people and luggage, we will get the smallets real car since we are spliting the costs.

Thanks again.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
53 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: merida car rental

FYI,

My routine is to take a taxi from the airport to a hotel in Merida and overnight the first night in Merida. Taxi is about $10 downtown.

Other option is renting a car at the airport and getting lost trying to find your way around Merida. Navigating Merida is a challenge.

Arrange for car rental at either downtown office or an office at or across from the Fiesta Americana Hotel for the next day. I think most of the agencies have an office in town.

Next day pick up car and head out to Progreso/Chicxulub. I usually pick up provisions at Carrefour on the way out of town. There are only small corner stores in Chicxulub. There is a small supermarket in Progreso.

Bottled water is available at every corner store in Chicxulub. So, you don't need to stuff that in the car for the ride.

Have a wonderful time.

Ralph S